Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Advice on Moving Beyond 30/60 Online

I started playing a couple of years ago online, and have moved up from the .5/1 step by step to the 30/60. In Feb. I started playing 15/30 (for the second time), and played only 42K hands before I moved to 20/40 and 30/60. I was 4 tabling and was at 2.8bb/100 at the end of the 42K. Since moving up I have only played 29K hands, but am 4 tabling at over 3.4 bb/100, I understand that I could never maintain that number.

My bankroll is sufficient to play 50/100 and higher, that is not my concern. My concern is how well I play. I feel very very confident against poor players, and feel that I have good game selection. I play some short-handed but only against really bad players, I have excellent results in these games. I feel as though my style of play is neither tight nor loose ~18VPIP in a full game, nor is it passive or aggressive, 1.83. I try to evaluate every situation individually, and I believe my strength is recognizing which pots are possible to steal and which are not.

My questions are these, how should I prepare for the jump to higher limit and better players? What games at what sites should I start on? Should I play 6 max tables at Party for a couple weeks to get ready for the short-handed play? Have I played enough hands of middle limit to be moving up at all? Etc., etc.

I really appreciate any help from people who have made the jump. Even it is only an ancedote some something non-technical like that. I realize that I have not contributed to the forum very much. I do a lot of reading, but to be honest I usually find that the answers to problems posted are very good, and I couldn't really improve upon them. In case it isn't obvious, I'm a very young player, and consider myself inexperienced.

Thanks again,

Tony
Old 08-01-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Advice on Moving Beyond 30/60 Online

If you are making 3.4 BB/100 while 4 tabling the PP 30/60 game, I wouldn't waste your time moving up. That is a ton of money. Play another 50K hands there and see if you can sustain it, because that is truly amazing.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:37 PM

I'm sure that I can't sustain it, but for whatever reason, it's not just about the money, it's also about the challenge, but it's a challenge I want to be ready for.

Thanks for the response though, it's probably the best advice.

Tony
Old 08-01-2005, 03:43 PM

My advice: Don't do it.

Jeff
Old 08-01-2005, 03:45 PM

The first day I played 50/100 I dropped 7 dimes. Are you ready for that?

I can tell you have your head on pretty straight, which is a very important thing.

The only games worth while these days bigger than 30/60 party are the 100/200 games on party and stars. I don't feel that one can make as much in the party 50/100 as they can playing 30/60 on party. Just some food for thought.

The good players just ARE that much better.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:09 PM

Is it pretty much pointless to play the UB games 40/80 and higher?
Old 08-01-2005, 04:15 PM

Hmmm - should one begin to focus on higher limit live play if 30/60 is an online ceiling?

I've surmised what many of you say above based on my limited forays into the upper limits online. Seems like a bunch of excellent players trying to take advantage of very good players, or everyone waiting around for the ultra rare fish. But I guess this could be applied to live games as well...
Old 08-01-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My advice: Don't do it.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]my advice: listen to him.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:21 PM

this post is really refreshing. for once someone comes asking this kind of stuff, and actually seems like he knows what he's talking about!

my advice, stick with 30/60 as your main game and make a ton of money, but satisfy your competitive urges by taking shots at bigger games, but only when you think they are at their fishiest.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:56 PM

Thanks, I think that's what I'll do. If it goes really well when I take the shots, maybe I'll try to stick it out at the high limit. I guess the only question I have left is what site to deposit at and what games to try to take shots at. I don't want to have 10K+ on more than two or three sites. I don't mind doing my own research, but if there are any suggestions, my ears are open. I think I'll probably try the 50/100 and 100/200 on Party, especially if they open more tables. I know there are games on UB and Stars ... anywhere else?

Thanks for all the help everyone, and if anyone has more to say, please feel free.

Tony