Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 01:32 PM

Default $30-$60 Party Poker Hand

I think it's a clear cut river bet for various reasons (the first being a lot of Ace highs will call) but I was told maybe not.

UTG player is a standard LAG. Looney is just that, a loon. They both see approximately 50%-60% of the flops.

UTG raised, folded to Looney in MP and he called, folded to me on the button and I called with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The blinds folded. Is this pretty standard or does anyone reraise the 8's?

FLOP: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG bet, Loon called, I raised. They both called.

TURN: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG bet, Loon called, I raised. They both called. Raise or not?

RIVER: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to me. I bet and they both called. Comments?

~stephen
Old 08-01-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: $30-$60 Party Poker Hand

Awesome.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:55 PM

i usually get 3 bet or fold when i raise on a turn like this, but i am not lucky...
Old 08-01-2005, 02:54 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

in this situation i'd reraise preflop. if i called preflop i'd probably wait for the turn to raise and maybe turtle up if strange cards or strange action occured. aggression factor is the biggest stat (either numeric pokertracker stuff or simply "he's passive" or "he's aggressive")in play here, without that it's a very difficult situation to assess with the information given.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:30 PM

UTG was a typical LAG, like I described. And the loon was playing any 2 cards and generally pretty passive. But didn't I describe them like this already?

I'm really anxious to feel out the 3 bet preflop though. Sometimes I do, but sometimes I wait because I generally like to think I play better post flop. You're 3 betting to make sure you're vs these opponents w/o the blinds?

~stephen
Old 08-01-2005, 03:35 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
And the loon was playing any 2 cards and generally pretty passive. But didn't I describe them like this already?

[/ QUOTE ]

you didn't say anything about the second player other than calling him a loon/looney. this would seem to indicate aggression. you didn't describe him as passive.

[ QUOTE ]
You're 3 betting to make sure you're vs these opponents w/o the blinds?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah basically. i'm not reraising if the blinds are really loose and i'll get massively paid off if i flop a set, or if utg is maybe tight enough that i want to see a decent flop instead of popping preflop. even if my opponents aren't total idiots i'd still prefer reraising barring similar exceptions.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:54 PM

I like the way you played this hand a lot.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:00 PM

You're joking right?
Old 08-01-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're joking right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I don't think there is that big of a difference between 3 betting and calling preflop in this spot. Postflop I like.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:05 PM

Another prime example of people betting the river when they shouldn't.

Why does nobody give UTG credit for a pair higher than 88 here? I don't see too many players -- LAGgy or not -- bet the turn after getting raised on a QQ4 board with only AK. (Maybe AcKc or AcJc, but there's no suggestion that that was hero's exact read). UTG's play is perfectly consistent with 99-AA (not QQ), and not particularly consistent with anything else.

Which means that there isn't value in this river bet unless HERO's image is borderline maniac. Do people really think UTG will call with A high after being raised on the flop and turn and with loon still to act?

[And if they do I don't want to see any more posts about how tough the Party 30/60 game is]