Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 01:06 PM

Default TT in the BB

Good Party 30/60 game.

1 loose player limps, the hijack(very bad) limps, and the tight CO raises. I call out of the BB with TT.

Flop is J97 no suits. I check. Hijack bets and the tight CO raises.

Do I have to fold here? Should I have played it any differently?

Thanks, as always.
Jason
Old 08-01-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: TT in the BB

[ QUOTE ]
Good Party 30/60 game.

1 loose player limps, the hijack(very bad) limps, and the tight CO raises. I call out of the BB with TT.

Flop is J97 no suits. I check. Hijack bets and the tight CO raises.

Do I have to fold here? Should I have played it any differently?

Thanks, as always.
Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually threebet, and lead that flop.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:46 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i'm not a fan of reraising here preflop out of position with a tight raiser, loose middle, etc with a hand south of JJ/QQ. this sort of thing requires above-average amounts of planning, even if it were a live game, but if you're concerned about the bad guy betting and the tight guy raising AK/AQ/ATs/KQs/etc just because the betting guy sucks and he wants to knock people out you can bet the flop for value and have a gutshot hedge to see the turn if it's raised and might even want to reraise depending on what happens and who did it. if it's 2 bets back to you after you bet, the cutoff means business. this isn't like an error bet just hoping to get gutshot odds, you do have a hand too and a potentially weird situation.

with the action going how it has here, i'd just fold. a set can still lose several ways if you hit it and you're not going to put the thumbscrews to them if you hit a 1-card gutshot having 4 to a straight on the board. maybe in the future if you see a similarly uncomfortable situation occuring you will find a bet without active premeditation.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:00 PM

This is a 3-bet preflop almost every time. Consider RAISING the flop. The gutshot outs alone make a call almost worth it, considering implied odds. Plus there's a decent chance you're actually in the lead already. A raise could force out overcards and maybe even a hand like JT or QJ, and might buy you a free card on the turn. A call wouldn't be terrible. I'd list fold as the worst of the three options, but probably not awful either.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:59 PM

I would probably 3bet pf unless he's really tight. Either way I would lead out the flop. If I check I would fold to a bet and raise.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:15 PM

Perfect. IMHO, reraising preflop is too aggro.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:38 PM

The raiser was 16/8 or so, so there was no way I was reraising preflop out of position. I was planning to c/r him on the flop, but the bet and raise threw a wrench into my plans and I was unsure of how to proceed.