Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 12:31 PM

Default 100 200 preflop

UTG is a fish. VPIP 47%, PFR 17%. Based on these stats, it looks like even though he is a fish, he generally has a good hand when he raises. (Keep in mind that 100 200 is often short handed.) I haven't watched too carefully, but I imagine he plays badly after the flop.

MP2 is a wild man. VPIP 30%, PFR 22%. I have frequently seen him make preflop raises and reraises with what I would consider inadequate values. However, he plays well after the flop.

With this background, what do you think of my play?

PokerStars 100/200 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>
Old 07-29-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: 100 200 preflop

If it were the SB that three bet, this would be easier, but I think capping the flop OOP against two opponents with a hand that most books tell you to beware of to even one raise is pretty tough.

I think that the worst part of this particular situation is something that I end up getting myself in trouble with a lot. You have said that you "imagine" UTG plays poorly after the flop while you say that MP2 plays well after the flop. So now what if you hit the flop for TPGK? You could end up simultaneously trying to outplay UTG post flop and giving MP2's bets/calls less credit than they deserve, as you will expect him to make plays at pots.

I end up doing this to myself often, and end up cursing at the river. I'm interested in the potential debate, but FWIW, I would probably lay it down PF, almost solely because of my weak read on UTG's postflop play.

-Jihad
Old 07-29-2005, 01:09 PM

i would much much rather call two here...
why would you want the lead in this spot?
Old 07-29-2005, 01:20 PM

When it is 3 bets to me and I haven't acted yet, I treat it as a cap-or-fold situation. There are two reasons for this:

1) sometimes a cap will force out the original raiser.
2) cold calling gives away too much information.

That said, it is worth reexamining this philosophy with this particular initial raiser. Someone who limps in as much as this guy does is not going to be sophisiticated enough to fold to the cap. However, my second reason still remains.

I also still think folding was a reasonable option for me here. But it's tough to do with the 3-bettor being so wild.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:10 PM

I wish I had money to burn like this.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:14 PM

Cap is ok as long as you play well post flop. You will probably be forced to make a hand! But there is nothing wrong with capping... you could make it heads up... but that's not likely. However, you must play it well postflop!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:24 PM

standard
Old 07-29-2005, 02:58 PM

Someone who is 47/17 isnt folding for 2 more, he is hardly folding anyways. You dont give your hand away if you cold call out of the blind. You could have a pocket pair or AJ/AQ/AK. It just means you dont have J8s for 2 more. Its going to be tough to have both players not make a hand, not make a move on you and not call you down, when you are leading at the pot the whole time. I think you are better off representing a wider range of hands and trying to take it away from the postflop if thats what you want to do.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:03 PM

IMHO your decision preflop depends far more on how each player plays postflop -- and by that I don't mean whether they play good or bad but HOW they play postflop -- than it does on how they play preflop.

I can't imagine playing 1-2 when I have to "imagine" how my opponents play postlfop.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:12 PM

"trying to take it away from the postflop"

there's not going to be any taking it away postflop going on here. bottom line is KQs is usually the best starting hand here and should be played as such. thus you cap preflop and start getting money in right away.