Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 03:11 AM

Default A8s utg 40-80 blow by blow. did my play blow?

here's one i think i played well.

it was 7 handed 40-80 very good live game. i limped utg w/ Ad8d. too good of a hand to fold against such loose players who play poorly postflop and i had been raising way too much so i thought a limp felt just right in this case. like a semi-slowplay. now everyone folds to the sb who raises. he's a little too loose and a little too aggressive, plus he basically has no game. bb calls. he is a loose giant donator, sometimes laggy. so now i 3 bet. this seems like a no brainer to me. i oftentimes have the best hand and when i dont i have position. sb capped and we both called.

the flop was Q92 w/ two clubs and one diamond. sb bet, bb raised, and i 3 bet. see bb is a huge favorite to have a flush draw here. so i like my chance of putting pressure on sb and getting it heads up w/ bb. for instance if sb has AJs, 77, some other hands, he may not call. as it was sb thought and thought and did call. and the bb called.

the turn was an offsuit 8. they checked to me and i decided the pot was big enough to warrant putting in one more bet in the hope that sb would muck a better hand or even a hand like KQs that i want out anyway. he thought again for a long time and decided to call, and bb called as well.

the river was a brick and i gave up and checked behind. sb had TT, bb showed a 7 high flush draw no pair, and i mucked.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: A8s utg 40-80 blow by blow. did my play blow?

I'd have to be very confident of my read on both players to 3 bet this on the flop. My default play would be to give up, but if you know the players that well, I like the move.

I think the turn is a must bet. The SB hesistation on the flop could indicate that he doesn't have a pair, and you certainly wouldnt mind him folding a hand w/ 6 outs here.

To bad the guy that missed his flush draw didn't try to bluff the river, perfect spot for a river bluff raise.

Nice hand,

lf
Old 07-19-2005, 03:48 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

if you really wanted him to fold, why not cold call the flop and raise the turn? that way you can also see if he 3-bets the flop, which means he's not folding.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... plus he basically has no game.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:52 AM

Other than 3-betting pre-flop, I like how the rest of his hand was played.

Lawrence
Old 07-19-2005, 05:55 AM

I know these guys are bad and terrible and all, but I don't see how continuing on this flop is correct.

-Michael
Old 07-19-2005, 07:40 AM

I think it's correct when the bb actually shows a flush draw after the hand. When he doesn't, the hand gets forgotten about and never posted in mid limit.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's correct when the bb actually shows a flush draw after the hand. When he doesn't, the hand gets forgotten about and never posted in mid limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 07-19-2005, 08:01 AM

A slightly too aggessive player caps from the SB three way preflop after you limp re-raise. What part of this do you not get? TT is way at the southern end of the range of hands most non-maniacs would play this way. You're DONE on the flop. This is chip spewing plain and simple. And, don't forget, bad players don't fold. BLOWS.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:08 AM

I think you had the right idea against the wrong player.
From your description of SB, you need to raise and then quickly run over and hit him in the head with a pipe. And he STILL gets his chips on the table before losing consciousness. If he dies, it's probably in his will to call your turn and river bets.