Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: A situation I\'m often faced with..

[ QUOTE ]
This is not a normative play for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 07-18-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the only hand a good player could possibly play this way would be KK...

[/ QUOTE ]

This just isn't close to being right at all.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay. Why 77 and up, though, in most games? To thin the field, I understand. But why do you draw the line at 77?

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, you have to draw the line somewhere. Its usually a close decision between the adjacent hands, but the line still has to go somewhere.

At first glance, raising 77 UTG might not seem a good idea. You'll thin the field but only get called or raised by hands against which you're about even money (a couple of big cards) or hands that dominate you (bigger pocket pairs). But there are considerations beyond that.

First, in tight games, a UTG raise has a fair chance of stealing the blinds which is a decent result for 77. Alternatively it may end up played only against the blinds, in which case you will have position for the rest of the hand.

Second, it disguises other UTG raises without giving up too much EV. Instead of folding to subsequent UTG raises, people are more inclined to three bet you, which is good news when you're holding AA.

Finally if it all goes wrong, you can always spike a set!
Old 07-18-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
first, CO is not a good player. the only hand a good player could possibly play this way would be KK...
WRT to your Q, easy check/fold on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...

Any player with 1/2 a clue of how to play post flop would just call here with any hand he cold called with that contains an Ace. Villian knows OP i'm sure, and knows his standards. Villian, then, with something like AJs or AQs, stands to gain NOTHING by raising this flop or turn, as he's going to get 3 bet by AK, and KK-88 will insta-muck.

This is one of those times where calling is correct, at least until the river, to let the guy with 2 outs blow of a couple of bets.

lf
Old 07-18-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is not a normative play for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

normative

adj 1: relating to or dealing with norms; "normative discipline"; "normative samples" 2: giving directives or rules; "prescriptive grammar is concerned with norms of or rules for correct usage" [syn: prescriptive] [ant: descriptive] 3: based on or prescribing a norm or standard; "normative grammar" [syn: prescriptive] 4: dealing with or based on norms; "a normative judgment"
Old 07-18-2005, 02:36 PM

still can't use it that way i think.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
first, CO is not a good player. the only hand a good player could possibly play this way would be KK...

[/ QUOTE ]

Any player with 1/2 a clue of how to play post flop would just call here with any hand he cold called with that contains an Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]im implying that coldcalling here with A/face sucks. i see ppl play AQ like this all the time. it sucks.
also if a player coldcall AQ PF, flop play is to raise, there are very basic FTOP and metagame reasons for this...
what is the PFR going to think when you call on this A92r flop(assuming they know you are solid/tight PF).
Old 07-18-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any player with 1/2 a clue of how to play post flop would just call here with any hand he cold called with that contains an Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]im implying that coldcalling here with A/face sucks. i see ppl play AQ like this all the time. it sucks.
also if a player coldcall AQ PF, flop play is to raise, there are very basic FTOP and metagame reasons for this...
what is the PFR going to think when you call on this A92r flop(assuming they know you are solid/tight PF).

[/ QUOTE ]

PFR isn't going to know what to think, isn't that the goal? I understand not liking a cold-call w/ AQo in this spot, but how about AQs, or AJs, or AKs. Its a trap, and a good one, especially if the PFR is willing to bet twice with a hand that can't come close to top pair.

lf
Old 07-18-2005, 06:28 PM

FWIW I think this in a lot of ways is a math problem that involves making accurate estimates of what your opponent might have. I haven't worked out various scenarios myself at this point but it seems that estimating your opponents range of hands pre-flop would help you narrow down your opponents possible holdings by the river. This does look like a situation where you have some serious reverse implied odds FWIW.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check fold sounds right. That board is real dry. I cant think of much you are ahead of when he calls the turn. Make it A 9 10 with a flush draw and I'm auto calling the river. But in your spot, since he really cant have a busted draw, would probably fold a smaller PP on the turn, and shouldnt feel the need to bet a smaller PP on the river it looks pretty hopeless. Agaist the real straight forward types I'll check fold the turn, although I lean towards betting agaist an unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve's analysis is pretty much perfect.