Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2004, 07:56 AM

Default Single table Tournament poker

Hi all

I may be getting a bit ahead of myself here, but I have decided to post anyways to get a feel for whether my efforts of late have been in vain.

I am currently writing a book on single table tournament strategy

How many would be interested in such a book, and more importantly, how many would be interested in such a book from someone like myself?

The thing is, I am the worst kind of poker author, which is to say that my poker is probably not as good as it should be in order to write a book. I am not a world class player but I am a winning small buy-in single table tournament player who has some things to say.

This all started when I made a post on the one-table-torneys forum called 'How to beat the party 10+1'. This post I have since lived to regret as so many are hailing it as a great initial guide for playing sngs - which it is not.

That post would probably be a good place to start for a very bad player, but I knew I could do better and I intended to improve upon it and post again. Well, about 40 pages later I am still writing and a book is starting to seem like a better idea. My intention is to self publish through an excellent agency (trafford publishing) here in Victoria, though I would entertain other options if they came up.

What seems like a better idea to me than publishing by myself, is to seek out a top player known to frequent the large buy-in sngs and have him/her review and make additions to the original material. In this way, I can add some credibility beyond my own very limited experience.

This said, a part of me hesitates to look too high for help as the book is not geared towards big buy-in sng strategy anyways and the game is somewhat different at that level. In addition, while I do not like the strategy card style of my initial sng stratgey post, I do want to present at least an introductory approach to sng strategy that is formulaic and based more on solid play than creativity and advanced concepts that may be beyond the average player. I will discuss the drawbacks of overly formulaic play and will stress the neccessity of more advanced play if a player ever wants to move beyond 30+3, but the first goal for my intended audience is becoming a winner at 30+3 and below.

A few other points which I'd like feedback on

One idea which I have been toying with lately is to include a number (1-5 most likely) of complete (winning) tournament summaries with commentary throughout. This would be presented in a sort of Chernev 'Logical chess: move by move' style where a reader could follow along and go through the decision making process along with the book. Would this be too cumbersome or would this add greatly to such a book?

Another Idea which I fully intend to implement is a section on the mathematics of sng record keeping. This would include such basic calculations as ITM, ROI, etc... as well as more advanced statistical info like standard deviation, risk of ruin based on win rate and current bankroll, and % confidence in results to +/- $x.

Also, I have not yet written any kind of introductory material. Does it make any sense at all to explain to a person buying a book on single table tournament strategy what single table tournaments are, the rules of poker, basic hold'em concepts, etc...? I think not, but maybe I just don't want to go through the drudgery of writing about all that.

The book is geared towards online tournaments with a structure like that of Partypoker. I fully intend to discuss appropriate startegy changes for better tourney structures like stars as well, but the emphasis will be on the party skins.

Finally, This book is thus far limited exclusively to No-Limit Hold'em sngs. How important is it for a book of this type to cover limit Hold'em or even other poker game types?

Given my current rate of writing, I expect to have about a 120-150 page manuscript (more than this if I include tournament walkthroughs) availiable before August. Assuming 1-3 months beyond that for professional editing, expert technical review and trafford's setup/print time, I'd expect this book to be avaliable before Oct or Nov at the latest. Again, it is possible that I am getting ahead of myself, but I feel like I cannot be the only one who sees a need for this particular type of book and I think that speed is important for this project.

Any comments appreciated
Brad S
Old 05-29-2004, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Single table Tournament poker

I'm interested.

daliman13@yahoo.com
Old 05-29-2004, 05:21 PM

Yea, I would probably purchase a copy.

It seems to be along the lines of Winning Low Limit Hold'Em by Lee Jones. The interduction of his book tells who should read the book (not total newbs, but not pros) is an effective one. I'd suggest looking at it for ideas.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:38 PM

Hi Brad

I know nothing about writing or publishing but as a small buy in SNG player you may be interested in my thoughts.

[ QUOTE ]
How many would be interested in such a book

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly don't think you'll sell more than a few thousand tops but I hope I'm wrong. How many internet poker books have been written? How many have been sold? Your market is even smaller than this but if you're gonna do it anyway which it seems like you are.........

[ QUOTE ]
My intention is to self publish

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? This means you have to advertise, market and sell the book yourself doesn't it? There are lots of publishers of gambling books, why not send in a couple of chapters to them and see what they say? You don't need to be published by 2+2 (although that would be nice eh?) Perhaps someone in The Gamblers Book Store or somewhere like that could point you in the right direction.

[ QUOTE ]
seek out a top player known to frequent the large buy-in sngs

[/ QUOTE ]

I have just read that some guy called fossil somethingorother has played a few $200s. Perhaps he'd read through your book for a slice of the profits.

[ QUOTE ]
first goal for my intended audience is becoming a winner at 30+3 and below.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sit at work with a calculator playing with ROIs, Buy ins and number of SNGs I could play in a day. One day I'm gonna resign and earn a living multi tabling $33s [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Hurry up with this damn book will ya.

[ QUOTE ]
a number (1-5 most likely) of complete (winning) tournament summaries

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where you'll need to be a good writer. Hand Historys bore me to tears, even Bisons converted hands (brilliant though his program is) make my eyes glaze over. But some people can write how a hand developed in a fasinating, edge of the seat kinda way. I don't know how to do it but this is gonna be vital if you don't want people falling asleep. If you can do it in an interesting way then I'd say put them in.

[ QUOTE ]
a section on the mathematics of sng record keeping

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah good idea I'll need to know all this stuff brfore I turn pro [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
have not yet written any kind of introductory material

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to put something in I think even if it's just in a glossery at the back of the book or something. As another poster said you may get an idea from WLLH.

[ QUOTE ]
This book is thus far limited exclusively to No-Limit Hold'em sngs

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd stick to what you know after all Masons probably gonna review it [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] A lot of ideas will be the same whatever the game won't they? I dunno I'm an exclusivley No Limit wannabe sit at home in me pants all day pro SNG player [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Anyway I'll be the first to buy it however you sort it. I won't even wait for that Mason review [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good Luck
Old 05-29-2004, 07:32 PM

I think this is a pretty great idea. Wish I had the talent and the know how to do it myself.

A few things...

You said you were not sure about an introduction listing rules and such. Since you are aiming this book at low limit buyins I think it is something that is needed. Most players at the lower limit buyins are new. Plus it is fills pages. People that know will skip it. People that don't know will say the book is incomplete. I would say remember your target audience.

On the complete had history of 1-5 tournies. Personally, I would love it. I really like being able to get in and see why people did what they did, or tried to do something. I say include it, or atleast send me a couple with your analysis.

Publishing, I have no idea. I am sure you will get better info from others, but you might check in to an e-book if nothing else pans out. You might check in to that anyway because of the profit margin. I don't know. More to think about on that because of sharing etc...

I really don't see much out there for this target, yet. If you can get something good out quicker than others you win.

Good luck with it. If it isn't an arm and a leg I would pick it up.

pdx

If nothing else comes of it, I would love to give it a read.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:08 PM

You probably wont make a cent out of it, publishing is a tough business from what i understand. But thats not really the point from what I understand. Why not make a web page and put all the information there? You might even get some advertising dollars from party or stars if you mention that your hand histories are from there, and you get a tonne of viewers. Sounds like a good idea though.
cheers
Leonardo
Old 05-29-2004, 10:36 PM

You might also check in to on demand publishing. Poeple order a book and it is printed and shipped. No stock no unsold books etc..
Old 05-30-2004, 03:21 PM

I would buy a copy, Aleo. The NLHE guide you posted on the single table tourney forum has been incredibly helpful.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:05 PM

I would buy a copy too, just because I read your Party SnG guide.

I hope you've talked to Mason about this. I don't know if 2+2 would be interested, but it's definately worth a shot.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you've talked to Mason about this. I don't know if 2+2 would be interested, but it's definately worth a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't, and to be honest, I don't think I will

I highly respect the 2+2 publishing franchise, but I just don't think a book like this would fit in very well, even if brilliant.

2+2 books seem to have a certain longeveity which books on specific internet play may not. Moreover, 2+2 books seem more rooted in theory and optimal play than the book I am describing. To be frank, my book will contain a great deal of sub-optimal strategic advice geared at keeping the average player out of trouble. I will, of course include recommendations for enhancing play and moving to the next level, but the general theme will to provide a straightforward plan for moderate success.

Perhaps 2+2 is moving in this direction with Ed Miller's new collaboration, but I suspect that even that book will contain some very sophisticated concepts which will be beyond most bad players' first reading.

Thanks for the encouragement
Brad S