Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 05:14 AM

Default Re: Wrestling Angles that worked

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm way past that man. I've rented the first 37 UFC's in order and will get caught up by the end of the year im sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

then why did you not know pride? they pay more and have better fighters. seen smashing machine yet? phenom flick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew it existed. I just haven't seen it at all.

If the OP would have said Pride fighting then I would have known I thought he was using pride being on the line as a example of a good angle
Old 11-02-2005, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

No dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes. It works quite well if you have your angles just right. The most important angle is when you cup the chin and lift the body. You want to be chest to chest while being 90° to his body.

<font color="white"> I know this joke is lame but this exwrestler can't help himself. If do ever get into a fight the fist half of the move is very good strategy to gain control. Once you get the arm on the back it's also very easy to break! Good times. </font>
Old 11-02-2005, 05:23 AM

Here's a couple old-school angles.

1. Larry Zbyszko turns on Bruno Sammartino (1980): In the WWWF's first sixteen years of existence, Bruno Sammartino was champion for eleven of them. His second reign ended in 1977 but he continued wrestling as an additional attraction to supplement WWWF champion Bob Backlund (1978 - 1983).

Larry Zbyszko was a protege and friend of Sammartino in both real life and in the WWWF TV programs. He was a typical 1970's good guy. He never broke the rules. He smiled at the fans. He was a goody-goody who didn't stand out too much.

In 1980, vitually out of nowhere, Zbyszko acted upset and jealous over his mentor's popularity and perceived superior ring skills. Eventually, Zbyszko challenged Sammartino to a good guys vs. good guy match. When the match happened, the two fought a technical match with Sammartino constantly frustrating Zbyszko. Eventually, Zbyszko fell out of the ring after getting out-maneuvered. Sammartino held the ring ropes open for Zbyszko to re-enter but (of course) let his attention slip. Zbysko grabbed your standard metal folding chair and cut loose on the WWWF legend.

The heel turn was stunning and carried Zbyszko throughout his career. In fact, Zbyszko would start calling himself the "New Living Legend" mocking Sammartino's nickname of "Living Legend".

The feud ended in the summer of 1980 when Zbyszko and Sammartino fought in a Steel Cage match in Shea Stadium. The match was so huge that it was broadcast live on ABC's Wild World of Sports. Sammartino won the match. But, Zbysko claimed that he was the true victor by saying that Sammartino was never the same after the beating Zbyszko gave him, thus forcing Sammartino into retirement.

2. The Von Erich brothers vs. The Freebirds (1983)

World Class Championship wrestling, based in Texas, in 1983 was pure fun. David, Kevin, and Kerry Von Erich were Texas boys who were already the most popular stars in their family-owned company. In 1983 (actually, very late 1982), The Fabulous Freebirds, three rock 'n'roll/Georgia boys who had been together for a couple years in other promotions joined World Class.

World Class created a six-man tag team championship. On Christmas, 1982, the Freebirds won the championship as good guys. Later in the evening, Kerry Von Erich was wrestling Ric Flair for the NWA championship. Freebird Michael Hayes was a guest referee controling the cage door. Towards the end of the match, Hayes interfered in the match and offered Von Erich an easy path to win the NWA belt. Von Erich protested an said he wouldn't accept a win that way. Hayes responded by slamming the steel cage door in Von Erich's face allowing Flair a sudden victory.

Throughout 1983, the six wrestlers fought in every imaginable way (including a memorable strap match). The heat was non-stop. The only thing which slowed it down was the death of David Von Erich.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:24 AM

I enjoyed when undertaker went dark and had the brood.

Only see it in passing now (and when take the kids to the live show) doesnt seemt the same characters around as in the past and I think they are missing the true superstars that they had a few years ago.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sting vs. Heel Hogan in WCW. They actually took their time and built up Sting coming to the resuce of WCW over a period of several months. He dropped down for the rafters and saved "WCW" workers from the evil Hogan and NWO for months before they FINALLY squared off in a main event match. Even with the constant battles with WWF for ratings at the time, they resisted the urge to hot-shot that match.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then they [censored] it up when they actually did it.

Of course, then they screwed up Goldberg vs Hogan.

[/ QUOTE ]

They definently scewed up Sting - Hogan. Horrible match booking as I said.

Why do you say they screwed up Goldberg - Hogan though? I thought that was one of the most exciting Nitros and I was actually unsure as to who would win because Hogan looked like he would never give that title up.

My only complaint would be that it should have been a PPV but I thought the match itself was fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a good match but it was rushed, and they definitely could've saved it for a PPV. they screwed themseleves over by blowing it on a nitro, they could've gotten a huge ppv out of it.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:28 AM

Dynasty,

more please
Old 11-02-2005, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dynasty,

more please

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll have to be tomorrow. I'm getting sleeping. I cut short that last post.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sting vs. Heel Hogan in WCW. They actually took their time and built up Sting coming to the resuce of WCW over a period of several months. He dropped down for the rafters and saved "WCW" workers from the evil Hogan and NWO for months before they FINALLY squared off in a main event match. Even with the constant battles with WWF for ratings at the time, they resisted the urge to hot-shot that match.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then they [censored] it up when they actually did it.

Of course, then they screwed up Goldberg vs Hogan.

[/ QUOTE ]

They definently scewed up Sting - Hogan. Horrible match booking as I said.

Why do you say they screwed up Goldberg - Hogan though? I thought that was one of the most exciting Nitros and I was actually unsure as to who would win because Hogan looked like he would never give that title up.

My only complaint would be that it should have been a PPV but I thought the match itself was fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a good match but it was rushed, and they definitely could've saved it for a PPV. they screwed themseleves over by blowing it on a nitro, they could've gotten a huge ppv out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought one problem was that it vaulted Goldberg too quickly when he still had a number of mid card level wrestlers he could have taken on in a believable fashion (believable in terms of could defeat him) If I recall correctly he had just one the U.S. Championship the week prior against Raven and had not even started messing with the NWO.

Once he beat Hall and then Hogan in the same night those matches could no longer be done with any interest and we were forced to wait 1/2 a year until Starrcade where he would face Kevin Nash.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on how badly WCW screwed up the first Goldberg - Sting match and run up to the match (basically non) God what a [censored] joke
Old 11-02-2005, 05:46 AM

Quickly, here are some of my favorite things that I remember.

Of course DX, the Corporation, and the Nation of Domination (Rock's beginning)

ECW Invasion

The Rock and Sock connection.

NWO recruiting new members every week.

Tables, Ladders, and Chairs matches (Dudleys and Hardys)

The Y2J countdown.

Goldbergs streak (Sure he couldnt work a match, but him MAULING jobbers was enjoyable) It was great when he finally fought someone decent and everyone thought there might be a match but he still SPEAR JACKHAMMER PIN hahahah

Stone Cold vs Vince (I heard this has started back up, I doubt it could be the same)

I'm sure there is a ton more, but I can't remember any at the moment.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:29 AM

He had actually just won the U.S. Championship *that night* vs Raven.

Memory fading though, I was in an out of wrestling during that time, and would be off/on/off until today. Christian leaving pretty much sealed my fate since I don't catch USA though.