Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Wrestling Angles that worked

Wrestling is fun to see two clowns in the ring - and sad to think people actually watch them.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:52 AM

I'm a sucker for early 90's WCW

Sting vs. The Black Scorpion

Early 90's WCW Champion Sting is being tormented by a masked villan that knows his past. They eventually wrestle in a cage at Starcade, and the Scorpion is unmasked as Ric Flair

Sting and the Mystery Boxes

Sting keeps getting large mystery packages delivered to him at ringside. The first one contains Abdullah the Butcher, the 2nd Cactus Jack. Sting and Cactus start a very good fued. Medusa appears in the 3rd box and Sting is injured causing him to lose the US title to Ravishing Rick Rude. The Dangerous Alliance begins to form and Sting is their main opponent. This can probably be broken down to mulitiple angles, but it was very entertaining and some good matches mixed in concluding with one of my favorite matches ever, War Games '92 (Sting, Steamboat, Kolof, Windham & Dustin Rhodes vs. Steve Austin, Rude, Arn Anderson, Zybysko & Eaton) .

The Yellow Dog
Brian Pillman is pinned in a loser leave WCW match. The masked Yellow Dog appears in many matches, and it's obvious it's Pillman. A bounty is put on taking the mask off the Yellow Dog. Every time he's unmasked, it's not Pillman. Not bad for a mid-card angle, and Pillman wrestling at his best.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:09 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What about the heel reaction HBK got in Montreal before SummerSlam? That was flat-out amazing and he had every single person in the building in the palm of his hand. Greatest heel interview ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember much about that. All I know is as degeneration-x was getting more popular the hart foundation were becoming bad guys. I did not like it at all. Brett Hart left and so did I.

[/ QUOTE ]
He's talking about just a few months ago (I think). It was pretty great. Easily my favorite moment of the past few years.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Hulkamania was kind of like Moneymaker's win in the WSOP. It didn't really matter who won it, that person was going to get a lot of credit for creating the "boom".

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I was putting them in chronological order. I didn't try to rank them.

But, you're definitely wrong. Hogan was absolutely necessary. McMahon's expansion of the WWF out of the northeast was underway for more than a year before Hogan was signed. In a sense, McMahon gave then-WWF champion Bob Backlund a chance to be the guy (though I'm sure McMahon never expected Backlud to have any mainstream appeal).

McMahon has tried to create other superstats in Hogan's mold and failed. The Ultimate Warrior and Lex Lugar couldn't carry the WWF the way Hogan did.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:19 AM

haven't check the thread yet, but a great one was when the horsemen chased down dusty and jumped him outside of the TV studio. I think it was JJ Dillion behind the camera giving the narration and tully was driving. They followed dusty over town and when the moment was right they all jumped out and handcuffed him to the TV van. they then proceeded to beat dusty down and IIRC Flair took a hammer to dusty's hand and "broke" it. THey then left him in a bloody mess. One of the best angles that I have ever seen
Old 11-03-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, and Hulk and Savage were a tag team for a while. That was good fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

For bonus pts., name that tag team.

The Mega Powers
Old 11-03-2005, 02:38 AM

Most of the good ones were hit... but here are a few from my childhood that might be considered cheesey but made me beg for my parents to rent a cable box just so I could see PPV.

Jake the Snake v. Ravishing Rick Rude/Rick Martel/Randy Savage
I loved all of these guys...the Cobra biting Savage, Rude with Jake's wife on the ass of his tights, Jake going blind at the hands of "Arrogance".

Undertaker
I was not a big WCW guy since I did not have cable growing up so the Undertaker was a big "whoa" to me since I had know idea who Mean Mark Callous was. Had a great fued with Hogan right off the bat which involved Ric Flair briefly. That only made me like Flair more when he slid the chair into the ring at Survivor Series for the Mega-Tombstone and the first of many deaths of Hulkamanaia. I remember counting the 3 of Undertaker winning on the floor of my TV room with my friend Cameron.

And speaking of Flair..

"The Real World Champion" Ric Flair in the WWF(E)
He had a belt that he stole from WCW! His angle and interviews were great as he went on to win the vacated WWF Championship (thanks to the screwy ending of the "This Tuesday in Texas" rematch between Hogan and UT) when he won the Royal Rumble dispite being the 3rd person to enter!

Nerding out,
tpir
Old 11-03-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

He had a belt that he stole from WCW!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that belt was Flair's personal property since he paid to have it made. The situation was settled by Flair selling the belt back to WCW.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

He had a belt that he stole from WCW!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that belt was Flair's personal property since he paid to have it made. The situation was settled by Flair selling the belt back to WCW.

[/ QUOTE ]

not completely. WCW/NWA at that time still had an old school rule regarding the top belt and the wrestlers holding it. It was never the wrestler's property per se, but they always took out a 25K bond on it, and it was their job to carry the belt with them wherever they went.

Well, During the contract dispute between Jim Herd and Flair, herd forgot to give Flair the 25K bond back to flair before flair jumped. So the belt was still in flair's posession when Vince signed him. The bond was finally given back to flair, so, he was obligated by the contract to give back the NWA/WCW title
Old 11-03-2005, 03:18 AM

Some of my favorites:

The bushwhacker brothers. My brother and I were probably 4 and 6 when we saw them, and they were IT to us. and we used to do the distinctive arm pump and even the forehead lick.

Sting. The dude was like the phantom of the opera. He was the mysterious guy always gliding down from the roof to kick someone's ass.

Brett "the hitman" Hart. My all time favorite.

Tatonka. Someone would put him in a submission hold and the ref would pick his arm up and it would fall. Pick it up again, fall. Third time, it would almost fall, then he would make a fist, and bust out of the hold doing an indian dance and proceed to kick the guy's ass. It was so sweet, you had to see it.

The old school Royle Rumbles. I would go to the corner video store with my dad and rent those and love every minute of them. It was so chaotic at first, then the drama would build and you would find yourself pulling for an underdog who would evade elimination many times to come back and win. Shawn Michaels was great at these.

Mankind vs. undertaker in the cage. One of the best ever. Undertaker choke-slammed Mankind off of the cage, he fell like 30+ feet onto a table. Then they take him off on a stretcher and he gets up and goes back in, all bloody, and for once I'm not sure it was fake.

Man I miss wrestling. About 4-5 years ago the combination of me getting older and the storyline getting worse made me lose interest completely. Maybe I'll watch a show or two just to see where it's at now. What night/time/network is it on?