Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 06:41 PM

Default The LSAT

For those who have taken it.
How was it?
How many times did you take it?
Roughly how many hours did you prepare?
Did you do better or worse than expected?
Any info is appreciated.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:25 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.
Default Re: The LSAT

It was pretty much as I expected. Though the setting I took the test in was not appreciated.

Once.

I have no clue. Many hours per day for a few months. Most of that time was spent on practice tests.

Pretty much in line with the practice tests, so I guess as I expected. Though I felt better about the actual test when I left it than I did on most practice sessions.

I would take a prep course if I had to do it over again.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How was it?
Any info is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't have been that bad, but extenuating circumstances took over.

Once.

Took a practice test the night before.

Worse, but my standardized test, well, standards, are not the most realistic. + I was in ephedrine shock at the time (long story, [censored] you DayQuil + Stacker combo) and spent a good bit of the logic game section furiously chewing my own palm.

Pay special attention to the logic games in your prep work. The English construction and fallacy identification stuff seems to be things you either have or haven't learned in the course of your previous education, so whatev.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:34 PM

It was very similar to the practice tests.

Once

I spent a 1-3 hours/day for about a month before the test.

About what I expected...a little better.

The more questions/tests you have done going into the test, the better off you'll be. If you do enough, there should be nothing on the actual test that surprises you.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How was it?
Any info is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was about what expected, however the games section was a bit harder than I thought it would be. You will really have to stay aware of how much time is left and how much time you can spend on each question.
I took it once.
I spent about 2-3 hours for about 4 or 5 evenings the week before the test.
I did better than expected.
The score is extremely important. I only had a 3.1 GPA in college, but my LSAT score was so good that I was accepted to two top 15 law schools.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:04 PM

I taught LSAT prep for The Princeton Review and Kaplan for about 10 years. If you have specific questions, PM me and I will be happy to give you some thoughts.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:26 PM

I start law school in the morning, and took the LSAT in August. I took the prep course, but very rarely went to class after making 159 on the first practice test. I regret not going to at least the logic games classes, as I completely bombed that section. I think I got only like 8/22 right on that section, and I still think about what kind of score I could have gotten if I had only gotten 14 or 15 of those right.

As for the other 3 sections, there isn't really that much you can do to prepare. It's mostly reading comp. and reasoning. There are only really two things to focus your preparation on:

1) Learn how to do the games.
2) Get accustomed to the structure and timing of the test.

I ended up only taking one practice test, and made the same on that one as I did on the real thing. BTW, law school seems really intense, I'm nervous. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2005, 10:46 PM

hard

@10 (if u have the money take the prep, i signed up late and basically took a couple practice tests) logic games were harder than the practice imo. that was the consensus among people i knew that took the test. the deduction portion that is half the test is not something u can practice imo. either u can do them in the allotted time or not. the key there is speed.

about what i expected, but not quite what i hoped. if u have a solid application then my opinion is 160's can take u almost anywhere u want to go. if u are lacking in other areas the better the lsat the better for u.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:04 PM

Im about to start my third year of law school.

All I know is that I got a book with 10 actual LSAT tests. I took one per week for 5 weeks and scored the exact same score every time. I thought that under the pressure of the exam I would perform better. Instead I scored the same score that I scored on all 5 practice exams.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:22 PM

How was it? No tougher than expected. The lack of scrap paper was not practiced for well by me.

How many times did you take it? Once

Roughly how many hours did you prepare? Not very many.

Did you do better or worse than expected? Worse - I didn't practice closely enough to the actual test conditions.