Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Putting Fish to the Flame. Harmless fun, or education?

Do you realize how dumb this post is? Let's look at two players:
Player A is solid, except has the bad leak of limp 83o UTG.
Player B is solid, except has the leak of berating fish whenever he takes a bad beat.

THE LATTER LEAK IS MUCH WORSE THAN THE FORMER, particularly in live games and as the stakes increase. Not because you educate the fish, but because you might drive them off or make the table atmosphere less conducive to gambling. It's even more annoying to everyone else, because this is one of the few poker mistakes you can make that hurts everyone at the table except, ironically, the fish.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:33 AM

I would want to encourage him to keep playing this way - in fact, I would probably want to say something to get him to play even looser. Something like "hey, I guess that's why there are 5 cards out there. Any two cards can win anytime."
Old 08-17-2005, 04:54 PM

This has already been addressed so perhaps you missed it. Everyone, including me, agreed that any scolding that might discourage said fish from playing is to be avoided entirely, but not because you might educate the fish. Which was my whole point; there's little to no danger in accidentally teaching a fish something esp. after winning a pot. And there isn't. At all.

And there are situations where it can not possibly scare a fish from a game either (such as after busting from a tourney, or if playing online). And, in addition some fish enjoy confrontation and will come back for more. All of this was already addressed. All of this you ignored and proceeded to re-state what someone else already said and was already agreed upon by everyone. If there's a possibility any action you take could scare a fish off whether it be berating them, or not giving them a massage while they're at the table, then do not do whatever that action is. An obvious maxim never to be violated. Glad you agree.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And there are situations where it can not possibly scare a fish from a game either (such as after busting from a tourney, or if playing online)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're suggesting that online, nobody would leave a game because they got pissed at your abuse, then I think you're mistaken.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:57 PM

Still possible but about 10x less likely what with having the ability to block player chat and all, and being in the comfort of your own home.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:00 PM

Is it really fun for you to bitch at the fish?

The fish are good people, sucking at a game in my oppinion is not a readon for being insulted.

And people who do insult other for sucking at a game should look to correct some problems they have themselves.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it really fun for you to bitch at the fish?

The fish are good people, sucking at a game in my oppinion is not a readon for being insulted.

And people who do insult other for sucking at a game should look to correct some problems they have themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wasn't claiming to be a model citizen, I'm certainly a monumental d!ckhead by all accounts. I was merely attempting to objectively examine this phenomena and it's effects.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:14 PM

In terms of educating a fish... it can be correct if, by doing so, you prevent that player from quitting poker permanently. Personally, I think there's a certain merit to be had for the notion of expanding the poker community (ie my cardroom now spreads 14 tables instead of 12). However, I think there are better ways to approach the matter.

[ QUOTE ]
And there are situations where it can not possibly scare a fish from a game either (such as after busting from a tourney, or if playing online). And, in addition some fish enjoy confrontation and will come back for more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker is a game about the long run. While you may not chase this fish out of the game now, she may begin to avoid you at the table. There are also profitable side games that go along with many tournaments. This problem is actually worse online where it's so easy for players to find another game.

As for enjoying confrontation... as long as you are making it fun for your customers to lose money to you, then this is not a mistake. The resulting problems are that (a) you cannot be sure of this fact; and (b) the rest of the players at the table may not enjoy your attitude, even though you aren't directly targetting them.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:21 PM

Whoa, I just thought of something that almost made my head explode.

If berating a fish and scaring him away is a fish move in itself, then wouldn't it also be a fish move to berate a fish FOR berating another fish since doing so scares said fish from his own games and likely into your games?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:28 PM

Educate them? Any low limit tables I've played at 2/4 or 4/8 think the game is completly about luck anyways. Belive me, I am far to nice a guy at the poker table and do tend to speak up when I see someone doing something completly stupid. But you know what the most common response is? "Are you kidding? I won so many times with that hand!" They don't want to be educated, some people just want to get lucky every now and then.