Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Corrected Translation of Bin-Laden\'s Threat: to U.S. \"STATES\"

The fact is if Bin Laden had the means to attack each American state do you not think he would have done it by now.

If they had a means to fight back I would have expected it to have happened after the invasion of Afganistan, I really think the threats have been overstated, although I can see the potential for more madrid style attacks rahter than an all out 9/11 type attack although even that wasnt that sopisticated (except for the piloting part).
Old 11-01-2004, 12:47 PM

Personally I would rather not visit Islamist sites. I once or twice visited al-Mahajiroun, and it was indeed all it was purported to be. Scary stuff.

Indeed you should be scared to visit the Islamists sites. No doubt Ashcroft is busy monitoring who is going there to find the next set of terrorists supporters.

Fear of Ashcroft's goons does indeed trump the need for careful research before posting threads proclaiming a CORRECTED version of anything.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:48 PM

I just looked on the MEMRI site for the actual article and found this footnote:

"2) "Wilaya" refers specifically to a U.S. state; it would never refer to an independent country. The term for such a country is "Dawla.""

Kind of hard to argue with that, presuming it is correct. Would you actually trust CNN to make a better Arabic translation than a collection of Arabic experts, and Islamist site(s)?
Old 11-01-2004, 12:53 PM

So you actually suggest they put, in quotes, false words, words that were never written, when such a thing is verifiable for anyone who wants to visit the Islamist site? You guys amaze me as to what you want to believe.

Not only Ashcroft, but I'm not crazy about the site itself knowing if I visit it. Your browser and computer give up more information about you than you might realize, and I'd rather not be on the emailing list of some radical Islamic nutcakes.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:58 PM

If CNN can offer translations to suit an alleged bias, MEMRI can offer translations (including with selective Quotes) to suit a well known bias.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:29 PM

I didn't say CNN did it out of bias. How about just out of lesser expertise, maybe?

The quote from al-Qal'a is unequivocal, unless you think it is purely fictitious. The quotes are not "selective" to make a point; they are clear to the point where "selectiveness" would have no impact. Reread the quote from al-Qal'a and you will see that selectiveness is not the issue.

I remember back when I posted some translations of certain Q'uranic passages and you didn't believe them--despite the fact that they had been rendered by 3 different Islamic scholars of the Muslim Student Association. All 3 different renderings, each by a different Muslim who was also an Islamic scholar, were basically in agreement as to the basic meaning, although there were slight variations in style or minor meaning. Yet you said you wouldn't believe that is what those passages in the Q'uran said unless you were able to speak Arabic yourself.

As I said, what you want to believe, ACPlayer. Never mind the evidence.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:38 PM

If you reread the thread you will realize that at no point I offered any views on the article that you offered to prove your CORRECTED version.

Reading anything from the MEMRI site scares me, I would rather not open that link. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2004, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'nother reason not to vote for Kerry...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think bin laden would know that this would be the knee jerk reaction of most Americans. Hell, when i first heard it, I said "fcuk him, I'm going to switch my vote to Bush". It's a reverse psychology ploy.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
'nother reason not to vote for Kerry...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think bin laden would know that this would be the knee jerk reaction of most Americans. Hell, when i first heard it, I said "fcuk him, I'm going to switch my vote to Bush". It's a reverse psychology ploy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. If Bin Laden does actually care who's elected (which is debatable in itself), I think he wants Bush to win. For starters, he pulled off the deadliest attack on American soil under Bush's watch. He has been able to evade Bush's military ever since. In addition to this, the horrific lack of competant post war planning in Iraq is a boon for Bin Laden--the terrorists don't have to go overseas now to take kill Americans, because there are plenty of easy targets currently in Iraq. Also, Kerry wants to send more troops to Iraq, while Bush doesn't. Finally, Bush has yet to fire Rumsfeld or Rice, which is extremely frightening to me, and which should be to all Americans.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:25 PM

bin-Laden cannot know for sure that U.S. voters will react so differently to threats than did Spanish and other voters. IMO it is pretty clearly an attempt to further divide America.