Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: How many buy-ins must you lose before calling it quits for the day

[ QUOTE ]
I always have at least 100 buy ins for any given level that i play

[/ QUOTE ]

I like 50 but I see your point, huge bankroll allow you not to bother about $$ value of what you lost or won and thus avoid tilting (to some extent). I take ocassional shots at higher levels with 25xbuyin though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. Waiting for amassing 100xbuyin can really hurt your potential earns.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:46 PM

Yeah, I'm a wuss. Making a transition to NL 6 max cash, so i'm moving up when i feel comfortable with my game, I want to make the misstakes where it's cheap.
I wont violate my 100 buy in rule though, i dont want to feel the impact on a bad night or a bad week too much on my br.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:00 AM

i just dropped 8 buyins. Should I stop? normally I stop at 5. tonight I feel like I am still playing good, and much better than some players. however I am getting crazy action from weak hands and it's killing me.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:06 AM

Yeah I love this thread right now. Currently I am stuck $5.5K. What a great day after Thanksgiving.

Should I stop?

No, I think I will play another 1,500 hands. Hopefully I can make some this back. It has just been nasty today.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:27 AM

Default Re: How many buy-ins must you lose before calling it quits for the day?

Hi Grimstarr,

[ QUOTE ]
how many buy ins must you drop in a day for you to just "X" out and call it quits ?

[/ QUOTE ]

However many it takes for me to stop feeling angry, and start feeling despair. Is this a good system?
Old 11-26-2005, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Grimstarr,

[ QUOTE ]
how many buy ins must you drop in a day for you to just "X" out and call it quits ?

[/ QUOTE ]

However many it takes for me to stop feeling angry, and start feeling despair. Is this a good system?

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing on despair can be pretty low-variance because you're too messed up in the head to push marginal edges, and you only raise or bet big with solid values.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:00 AM

Default Re: How many buy-ins must you lose before calling it quits for the day?

im normally a snger, but when i played full time i would playe around 100 a day no matter what, regardless of results. if i was stuck, i was more likely to continue playing, though its hard to tilt very much in sngs.. i duno i dont see myself quitting after a certain point. i agree with some of the other posts saying dont check the cashier. thats the worst thing in the world to do. when yer up you drop thinking you got enough to spare to make some -ev plays, and when yer down, you go nuts trying to get even. not a good thing. dont check it. holla
Old 11-26-2005, 05:26 AM

Last time I had 100 buy ins I played extremely sloppy. When 1k was only 1/100 of my roll I didn't care. I finally started to care when I lost 15% of my roll. Anyway, I don't think its a good idea.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im normally a snger, but when i played full time i would playe around 100 a day no matter what, regardless of results. if i was stuck, i was more likely to continue playing, though its hard to tilt very much in sngs.. i duno i dont see myself quitting after a certain point. i agree with some of the other posts saying dont check the cashier. thats the worst thing in the world to do. when yer up you drop thinking you got enough to spare to make some -ev plays, and when yer down, you go nuts trying to get even. not a good thing. dont check it. holla

[/ QUOTE ]
NL is MUCH different than sngs and limit poker in terms of tilt. I don't remember EVER making a tilt play in an sng or limit poker, but I can remember countless times where I donk off stack after stack while on tilt in nl cash. It's just so hard to tilt while you have 12 sngs running where it's all predetermined plays where nothing really matters what happens. Same thing with limit. You play a bunch of tables and each hand played well is contributing to your net for the day. No limit on the other hand, often how well you run for the day is determined by just a couple allin hands and if you get unlucky in more than your share, you could be stuck quite a bit for the day.