Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 04:47 AM

Default AKs UTG

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Second hand at table, so no reads other than PT icons indicating "auto rating" results. I still have the default auto-ratings.

Button ($164.53) SLAA
SB ($19) LAP
BB ($126.98) LPP
Hero ($107.60) TAA
UTG+1 ($96.50) SLAA
UTG+2 ($144.87) SLAA
MP1 ($76.55) TAA
MP2 ($135.40) SLAA
MP3 ($184.75) TPA
CO ($114.10) LAP

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $4, CO calls $4.

What are the pro's and con's of limp/calling AK UTG, like hero did here?

What would you have done UTG?

If you would have open raised then for how much, and what would you have done if Button here had re-raised?

If you would have limp/re-raised, then for how much and would you fold to a 3-bet/push?

Other lines?
Old 11-21-2005, 04:50 AM

Default Re: AKs UTG

First of all, that's AKs. Pros of raising PF are for value, people will call with dominated acec, dominated kings and crap hands like QJ. It also allows you to get a HU or 3-way pot where one pair is more likely to hold up well. Cons are lesser ability to hide your hand if you make TPTK.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:37 AM

open raise for 8-T$, pretty standard from what i understand
or if you decide to limp raise, make it 15 togo
he has every right on the button to raise with just about any thing, in attempts to steal the blinds, and i see this alot with AX,

and if you miss the flop bet the pot, they fold, if the reraise, its time to get out
Old 11-21-2005, 07:43 AM

I'd rather be raising this here than limping. This is a hand that does play well multiway, plays even better with fewer players involved. Raise it and get crappy hands to call you and get some value for them. You shouldn't want to play multiway pots OOP anyway so raise raise raise...
Old 11-21-2005, 07:44 AM

i could understand trying to hide your hand at a higher stake, to get more action, but at this level is it smart, where people call just about anything?
not trying to discredit you just wondering your thoughts, i play mostly 6 max so i try to pick upalot of small pots, which seems to work very well, but the 10max table i dont fare so well, do you provoke action at these tables?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:33 AM

(1) UTG with AKs, let's say hero had raised. What does he do if he gets re-raised from LP, let's say to $15 or $20? That could mean another AK, AA, KK, or QQ most of the time, but sometimes worse from LAG-y guys. More likely AA or KK from really tight villains. Assuming the re-raiser is not a complete rock, is it best to call and play for the TPTK? Or just give it up because of position?

(2) AKs misses the flop well over half the time. TPTK hitting the flop only about 1/3 of the time, and occasionally AKs picks up a big draw (flush draw + pair or overcards). Factors for continuation betting would be texture of the flop and number of callers. Q72r with 2 preflop callers is good for a continuation bet, but 8s 9s Jc with 5 callers (and a medium-sized pot, now) is probably bad for a cb since the latter flop will have hit somebody pretty hard and this is now a pretty big pot. All low cards is usually bad for a cb, too, since medium overpairs (88, 99, TT) tend to play AK cop and call a cb on a flop like 247r.

I dislike continuation betting into a medium-sized pot out of position with a missed flop a lot. This is part of the reason I limp/called here. I wanted to have a small pot to bet at if I hit, and an easy check/fold if I miss.

Any comments on AKs UTG reraised preflop (1) or using a limp/call to make the continuation bet question easier (2)?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:52 AM

i mix up whether i limp-call, limp-reraise, or open raise a lot from UTG with just about every hand...especially with AK though. i don't mind a limped pot with AK since it stands up pretty well multiway...as long as you play good post-flop and don't get committed to one pair.

i'm more likely to raise at a tighter table, and more likely to limp or LRR at a table where my open raise will get more than 2 callers.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:02 PM

the only reason you should limp here is to limp reraise.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:05 PM

hmmm no you can limp call AKs utg a small percentage of the time. good to mix it up. I especially like it if the table is full of calling stations. raising/limp reraising also goot.

edit: this reply to djoyce