Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2005, 08:47 AM

Default Confessions of a maniac

Just to begin, I am not a terrible player. I started playing limit, and read SSHE by ed miller so i know about pot odds. I've also read HOH, and started on HOH2. I have a fair idea of how to play your standard conservative game. I know its a winning style. But why isn't it my style?
You see, I find a lot of players that play MTTs very set on the conservative mind frame. Many, but not all follow the HOH method, and theres nothing wrong with that. The problem is that the saturation of medium level conservative players have made it too easy to just stray into the maniac zone, and outplay the table. Am I crazy, or is it sane to think that the idea of the tournament life is taken completely wrong. When I play, I'm there for the final table, and to do that, you need chips. So from start to finish, I try to out play the player and take out every pot. All this protecting your life thing to me is the cash game grinder talking. All conservative styles boil down to this. Survive while improving, and hopefully you make it to the cash, and then hopefully you'll make it final table, and hopefully you win. Its a standard style, but you're making it extremely difficult to win. I mean, the over glorification of the bad beat is the mediocre player justifying their play. Bad beats are a way of life, but another reason why i find bad beats not as bad as they use to be is that if you are a skilled tournament player, you should seldom find yourself all in, not because you don't put all your chips in the middle, but because you're the high stack. Fundamentally, playing lot pot is a terrible idea. Probability is against you. Logic is against you. But when you find that you are easily table captain, it is just too much chips in the middle to let go. I think that tournament poker, especially the middle stage is the time at which the possibilty to build yourself a very strong stack overwhelms the mathmatical underdogness of the maniac style. I know a lot of people will be furious to go against the probabilities. I understand why its ridiculous to say that, but tournament poker is not about probabilty (or less so than say a full ring limit cash game). In a way, my rant is just to reaffirm my own poor play, but i mean, tournament poker is just such a different animal from cash game poker, and i don't think people realize it enough. Now, i am not encouraging completely braindead moves. What i am saying, is that no limit multitable holdem tournaments involve another dimension of poker(the psychological) that i don't think people really get, and i think that is what holds a lot of players back. Any comments, or am i just completely crazy.