Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Stud tourneys ... injectionpoints ??

Thanks for your responses, links and welcomes :-)

Basically as I read it it comes down to being a bit more observant to the players at your table ... and since stud is not really as autopilot friendly as hold'em, this really should be a problem .. you already in there looking at upcards and so fort (It's refreshing to not be in a forum with post like .. Yo dude .. I've gone from multitabling ten to now multitabling twenty 20$ SNG's and it has improved my hourly rate)

Now what I need is to play stud tourneys for a couple of weeks and and get my timing right.

One thing though. The play a lot of 'shaky' draws early advice ... that can't be right. (I read it as though you are recomming playing more draws than in a ringgame AceofSpades)

Sure you might hit big with a draw, but mostly you are just crippling yourself

Shouldn't this advice read ... play your draws normally as was it a ring game in the early stages of a tourney, but be careful later on! Unless you are desperate and several players have entered the pot, so you are getting some sort of price and since you have to make a stand shortly, then now is as good a time as any ??
Old 12-01-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing though. The play a lot of 'shaky' draws early advice ... that can't be right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is right. I'm the absolute master of finishing in the money, but out of the final table, in MTT stud tourneys, and I'd say the primary reason is that I'm just too damn tight. I can switch between tight aggressive and loose aggressive all day in stud8 SNG's, but put me in a stud high MTT, and I go rock. I've thought about where I could improve my results, and one of the areas is playing more drawing hands earlier in the tourney. People are typically playing fast and pushing top pairs and other hands that can easily get caught. If you play a few more drawing hands---or even better, play your normal types of drawing hands, but take off one more card than you usually would---you're not costing yourself that many chips at the early levels, and your implied odds in most pots you're in will be huge if you complete your draw. What it boils down to is that you might be facing a call that in a ring game is slightly, or even more than slightly, incorrect based on pot odds and even implied odds, but that ring game calculation doesn't factor in the tournament value of chips, of building a big stack early and being able to manipulate a table because of the stack, and of being able to absorb chip losses without being crippled.

And I'm still chuckling about the injection points....
Old 12-01-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One thing though. The play a lot of 'shaky' draws early advice ... that can't be right. (I read it as though you are recomming playing more draws than in a ringgame AceofSpades)

Sure you might hit big with a draw, but mostly you are just crippling yourself

[/ QUOTE ]

I would play more draws early than in a ring game, only because calling 5, 10, or 20 to see fourth street and hopefully hit something big, or improve to a live three flush really has more implied odds at the very early stages of a tourney than in a ring game. I rarely see four way action capped on 5th, 6th, 7th streets in a ring game, but I have seen it in tournaments when the very dead money players are still in. But of course it really depends on the table you are at....
Old 12-01-2005, 05:04 PM

Given the above, then you are getting a good price on your draws and I do not disagree with you.

Since I an just playing my second Stud tourney ever as I'm writing these lines, I do not have the experience to know whether stud tourneys have much multiway action and capping

But I does not seem unreasenably ... Stud is less popular than Hold'em, so there is less material around and many player don't read book but just play by ear

One interesting point is that according to whichpoker.com there are 135 active studplayers playing ringgames at the mayor online sites and this tourneys has 237 Entrants

Fish are bound to be in the water

Yep .. allthough playing 'shabby' draws a lot early is a mistake at The WSOP .. It could easilly make sense at the 10$ buyin tourney at Partypoker