Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Stud is dead

It wasn't going when I was there. The lowest HOE game I've seen go there is 75-150, but I'm only there about once every three months.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:44 PM

Stud may be dying and is certainly quite dead in Las Vegas, but regardless, a skillful player in stud has a bigger advantage over his opponents that a skillful player in limit holdem will have over his oppenents. Many people know how what cards in general to play pre flop taking into consideration position, but many people who play stud are weak on 3rd street.

But alas, stud may only survive on the net and the New York vicinity.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:57 PM

That would be a lot more tempting if you bring the "hot twins" with you.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:56 PM

Last time I was at Foxwoods there were many more mid and high limit stud tables than hold'em. $5/$10 probably shouldn't be the barometer.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stud may be dying and is certainly quite dead in Las Vegas...

[/ QUOTE ]

Stud is so dead in Las Vegas that the long running 3/6 stud/8 game at the Palace Station finally died this year.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do they ever have any Stud 8/B running?

[/ QUOTE ]
Taj spreads a 10/20 HOE game in the low limit section of the room. Last time I checked it was going every day.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:45 PM

Sorry I didn't get back to this quicker - work has been a beast (don't know why I keep going back). I think new players gravitate towards low limits and all the new players are going to play hold em now b/c that's what's on television. So the 5-10 stud games get no new blood and the old blood is generally a bunch of weak tight rocks with a few holes. So not much action. The mid limit stud games like 20-40, 30-60, however is a different animal. While they don't get tons of new blood, they do get people (in a place like Taj with a big rail and great location) who want to play poker and only understand stud (it's what they grew up with, it's the home game, etc). And many of these people play very badly. It also seems to be the game that affluent semi-regulars populate, at Taj. I don't know what it is really, but those games are very loose and not tough at all (exception is 75-150 and higher, depending on lineup...but usually these are good). Many rich, middle aged to old businessmen populate these games, donate, know they donate and don't give a damn.

Jeff
Old 09-08-2005, 05:47 PM

Taj has a half and half game...half Omaha8 and half stud8. The game is 10-20 with a full kill and seems soft from my observations. Just stud8 is rare beyond 1-5. As for high stud, the sky is the limit and the games are plentiful.

Taj is 21+ though, just so you know. Doesn't mean you won't get away with playing (many do), but that's a disclaimer from your friendly 25-year-old father figure. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Jeff
Old 09-08-2005, 05:49 PM

Oh, I should add that Borgata has a 40-80 Hose Game on Occasion. I played an 80-160 Half Hold Em, Half Omaha8 game last weekend there which was absolutely disgusting in terms of action. The game only became mixed b/c a super donator demanded it. Dah, I need to just move there already.

Jeff
Old 09-09-2005, 09:21 AM

Jeff, I like your description of the higher games, and I'm sure it's accurate. I have the b/r to sit higher, but I play so seldom that I'm just not up for sitting at a limit that makes me sweat. Still, I think you'd agree that players follow the action and hold'em is where the action is. Only a matter of time until some older stud players fade away, some go to hold'em and the games dry up. I'm sure there were still a few good draw games in CA back in 1980, but try to find one now! I do think the Internet will keep stud limping along.

btw, I remember when you took your job a few years back. It sounded like a good move at the time, but I gather you are seriously considering a move to full-time poker from this post? I know many folks who have done this, but I still hate it for a smart, educated 25-year-old with other options. Unless you have a huge gift (think Doyle Brunson, Howard Lederer, Daniel Negreanu) I don't think poker is enough. I love to play, but not as much as I love to write.