Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 09:20 PM

Default Orchard Street Rumors

I know this is mentioned in another thread but I would like to address this is more depth if possible. I know some friends of mine have expressed similar suspicions about rigged dealing there. What are some of your experiences with this at the club and how legit do you think these claims are? Plus, how would you base deal with a cut card and how can I look out for it just in case? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Orchard Street Rumors

All this talk about mechanics are overblown.... there are mechanics in every major card room across the USA. Its a part of the game, good players are hardly affected by it.

1) drop the cut card. Most players wouldn't know the difference.

2) If you are a good player dealing from the bottom of the deck wouldn't affect you much at all, since you only play premium hands. In the worst case scenario it might make you give up your blinds more often, nothing more.

If you want to make sure this doesn't happen in your game, you can do the following:

a) insist that the players shuffle the decks first before the dealer

b) make sure the dealer picks up the cards facing the table. In England the dealers do it with the cards facing themselves, but in the US the standard way is facing the players

There is an interesting side effect of dealing an Ace off the bottom of the deck, the player who is delt the Ace may not have a premium kicker, which means if they are loose enough to ram and jam (they usually are if they are willing to cheat) with A4o then you might have a sucker waiting to be beat.

TT in da club [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2004, 10:28 PM

I almost forgot. If you catch someone doing this, Tell Ed that you are going to out him on 2+2 and RPG. I'm sure the dealer won't ever see another card room again without some broken bones, there are some ruff charecters that hang out at Wall Street!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2004, 11:16 PM

how about just playing somewhere else?

about 8 cardrooms in NYC and plenty just outside of NYC its not that hard to find a game.

www.geocities.com/racentourfd/socialclub.html
Old 10-18-2004, 11:26 PM

When NYC based players can take a 5 minute ride on the A train to Secaucus, then your room will become very busy! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2004, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

When NYC based players can take a 5 minute ride on the A train to Secaucus, then your room will become very busy!

[/ QUOTE ]

i wasnt saying "hey come play at my club" i suggested just not going to orchard street place. i play at NYPC and PS cause i fell comfortable playing there compared to other places i have played in the city which i wont name.

Btw we are not looking to become very busy its not a NYPC kind of place. The 2+2er's who come down and play understand this.

www.geocities.com/racentourfd/socialclub.html
Old 10-19-2004, 09:41 AM

Funny thing is you will see me there very soon. I live close enough to NJ that the A train factor doesn't concern me.

PS: Another room just opened up in NYC.... 5th Ave around 28th Street. Open 6 days a week, 4 tables.

TT
Old 10-19-2004, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there are mechanics in every major card room across the USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is full of [censored]. I have been in and around the poker room business since I was 12 yrs old. Thats over 30yrs. I have known some of the old mechanics. I have known some of the old thieves in the business. That was a long time ago before owners found out how much they could make when Texas Holdem became prevelant. (tho in the early 80's the Stardust was known for cold decking).

Nowadays most of your MAJOR card rooms are run by poker room managers that like to look themselves in the mirror when they get up and wouldnt think twice about a dealer facing criminal charges and losing his license which would of course mean they couldnt get a license anywhere.

Also, most jursidictions take licensing very seriously. Hell some areas/states dont allow a dealer a license with unpaid income taxes. And forget it if you have an unpaid ticket. Criminal backgrounds? very very tough to get licensed. Hey I know one dealer, she is clean as a mouse, very very nice girl, 35ish. Had a credit card fraud thing she was involved with when she was 17 and stupid. She co-operated with the feds, charges were dropped, and yet she still cannot get a license in MS. Even tho the feds sent MS. Gaming Commision the recomendation she be allowed to be licensed.

The BS about "Mechanics" in every major cardroom across the country, is just that. BS
Old 10-19-2004, 01:10 PM

bigfishead:

Before you get on your high horse, read my prior post reguarding the same location in this forum. Just because someone is capable of being a mechanic, doesn't mean he or she is actually doing the dirty work. Yes cheaters exist, but 99.9% of the time is is without the knowlege of the card room's owners (on that we fully agree). And just because someone has cheated one or twice in their lives doesn't mean they do it every time. In short it is mostly a non-issue, even in the underground rooms. Its good to know it exists, nothing more.

PS: in casue you are not aware, the discussion was in reference to an underground card room in NYC, where poker is assumed to be illegal. Juristiction here means nothing... there is no lisencing, no watchful eye by the government.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:11 PM

the players at our club are not from NYC but play there often. The biggest problem with nyc poker places is the turnover of players at a table. I rather play with the same 9 guys at my table for 6 hours than have 3-4 new players switch in and out every 2 hours.

http://www.geocities.com/racentourfd/socialclub.html