Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 09:23 PM

Default it was going to be an easy decision until he called [preflop]

Alright, finally starting to get back into the online playing mood. Hopefully I'll have some interesting hands to someday post, though for now my first Q is preflop [sigh i hate PF Q's]...

6 handed $150/300. I'll give names first (for those who know the players) and reads after.

I open UTG with KQo. Folded to Lager [not Lager, but a friend of his] on the button who 3-bets. Lager is good. Not as good as the real Lager, but still a very tough opponent. Raise! 4-bets out of the SB. This is a sign to be scared. Raise! imo can be described as "tight, solid" and when he's open capping here against two solid peoples' raises, watch out. Ok, all ready to fold suuuper quickly.

Then he calls in the BB. The reason I'm in the game. He's not super awful. But still bad. Like one hand, he called a 3 bet outta his BB with J2sooted. And he is willing to sometimes get outta line postflop but still for the most part is super ez to play vs.

Is this enough to turn a super ez fold into a call?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Re: it was going to be an easy decision until he called [preflop]

Sometimes I play one tenth of the stakes, so I think Iīm qualified to answer.

I think you should fold and it doesnīt seem that close to me.

You are still stuck between two good aggressive player who probably both have better hands than you, you of them by far.

My guess is that BBīs call is adding a fair ammount of EV to the best hand and not so much to you, so 7:1 with what seems like really bad reverse implied odds canīt be good enough.

Now you have a reply.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:02 PM

i agree with trix. i dont see why youd want to call here when you could be drawing dead to trips or a straight, not to mention youre sandwiched in between the 4bettor and the 3 bettor.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think you should fold and it doesnīt seem that close to me.

My guess is that BBīs call is adding a fair ammount of EV to the best hand and not so much to you, so 7:1 with what seems like really bad reverse implied odds canīt be good enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

These were pretty much my exact thoughts. Of all the players gaining money by this guy calling, I think you're on the ass end of it and you're still paying off SB by calling.

edit: Perhaps this is a time to bow out and let them have a crack at him, unfortunatly.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:51 PM

For all intents and purposes lets give:

Lager about: 77+ , A9s+, KQs+, ATo+
The Solid Raiser: TT+, AQs+,AKo

At this point we're about ~20%, against ~30%, and ~46%

And needing about 25% equity so it's a fold.

Then we add the weaky:
22+,A2s+,K7s+,Q7s+,J8s+,T8s+,97s+,87s,76s,65s,54s, 43s,32s,ATo+,KJo+

You said he callde w/J2 suited but I'll give him alittle more credit here.

And we lose equity. 17%, 22%, 38%, 22%

It's 2 back to us, and we can anticipate lager calling so it's 1 BB for a pot of 6 BB, so in essence we only need about 16 2/3% equity to call.

So with the bad player you gain a small edge provided you play well post flop. Since I picked the ranges out real quickly these numbers are a bit subjective. Running through some possibilities.. If Lager is alittle tighter w/ the 3-bet or if you ratch down the calling range of the weaky alittle then you pretty much drop to low 16% equity ranges. In that spot calling is slightly negative but very close to neutral so it's up to you whether you think you can play this well post flop. Position on the SB & Weak player is another good thing too.

I did this quickly so there may be errors.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:11 PM

I think the problem here is that there aren't many flops that are going to make you happy. Preflop equity bears only a resemblance to the eventual results in this hand in my opinion. If you flop a single K or a Q you will be on the defensive, and may even have to eventually fold. I suspect about the only way this story ends well for you aside from flopping some exotic monster is if the flop is JTx and you pay about a thousand bets and then make your straight. If you flop two pair you will still have to dodge some bullets. If I called preflop here I would probably breathe a sigh of relief if the flop missed me.

Cartman
Old 12-10-2005, 01:28 AM

despite the dead money bb puts in there, you're still squeezed in between two good players OOP to one w/ a now marginal hand

i fold...but then again i may play a bit too tight pf.

Barron
Old 12-10-2005, 02:27 AM

Foldfoldfoldfoldfoldfold

On top of everything else, you have lame positon on the capper. It's gonna be hard to make players do what you want here, even in a best case scenario.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:55 AM

ok sounds good. i folded. flop came K93 and raise! had 99 so i was wondering if maybe i was giving him too much credit (or worse case he knew i'd give him too much credit so he capped lighter than normal expecting me to fold a lot of hands) but i guess the consensus is folding is fine.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:57 AM

I'm with everyone. FOLD...easily. You need to really tatoo the flop (i.e. JT9, KKx, QQx, etc.) to have a decent chance at this hand. Everything else has "domination" written all over it.