Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group 1 - Two vs. Seven
Naked Gun (7) 78 39.00%
Groundhog Day (2) 122 61.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2005, 08:18 AM

Default TV Busted - should I get another one?

My TV busted 4 days ago. Being mechanically inclined I took it apart and replaced a fuse that I found inside the thing, but to no avail. The fuse did not appear to be blown anyway. It appears to be a more serious problem. It's like 10 years old, so who knows; maybe it's in the big screen in the sky for good.

So I'm thinking of canceling Dish Network and doing without an idiot box.

Should I do without or buy a new one?
Old 10-29-2005, 08:21 AM

Default Re: TV Busted - should I get another one?

There's probably a better one out there, but this one works fine for me. It's served me far better than a TV ever could, for a much lower price.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:26 AM

Interesting..... I've also hear of the "Slingbox". Anyone have any experience with that?
Old 10-29-2005, 11:46 AM

Become a Costco member, buy a big ass TV and return it for full cash back when you get bored of it.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:54 AM

I don't even own a tv and I couldn't be happier not to have an idiot box. <font color="white"> lol i do really i just want the reaction </font>
Old 10-29-2005, 12:01 PM

I'm glad I have a tv.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:10 PM

Why do people who don't have TVs feel the need to constantly brag about it, like not owning one makes them more intellectual or generally better than everyone else?
Old 10-29-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't even own a tv and I couldn't be happier not to have an idiot box. <font color="white"> lol i do really i just want the reaction </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt see the hidden print till i went to reply but figured i'd still post this:
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28694
Old 10-29-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting..... I've also hear of the "Slingbox". Anyone have any experience with that?

[/ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine in Buenos Aires uses one. The other end of the connection is some stoner in San Fran. Its great because they can watch American TV down there, but the hassle is that they always have to call him and wake him up to turn the TV on, and sometimes they'll be in the middle of a show, and Stoner will forget and change the channel, prompting another call.

I'd say that unless you're somewhere that doesn't have easy access to the programming you want, its not worth the hassle to mess with a slingbox.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:34 PM

Just get one of those cheap RCA ones. You can get a 25 inch one for under $200.

T.V. has become almost entirely background noise for me too, but I still like background noise sometimes. I can get that from a cheap t.v. just as easily as I can from a $5,000 one.

I used to be pretty much thunderstruck by cool electronics, and was definitely one of those guys who thought having a great stereo, and then connecting it to a great t.v. to make a great home entertainment center, was one of the coolest things you could possibly do. I still think it's cool, but just don't care that much anymore. And now I realize that the cost is pretty absurd. I'm fine now with a workable coccoon, but don't need one that will keep me happy for a thousand years, and realize that would probably be counter-productive anyway. Better I should concentrate on almost anything than purely passive mindless entertainment.

So now I don't have cable and haven't had it in years, and can't picture getting it again. I think I'm better off and happier without it. I don't slobber and hyperventilate over audio magazines and wonder if I should bomb my credit card with electronics. It's hard to picture when you're deep into techno-lust and completely mindless entertainment, but life is probably even more entertaining when you do things that don't involve a home entertainment center.