Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 11:01 AM

Default you know you\'re at the right table when....(LC)

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (12 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Alright, so maybe you don't like the preflop limp, and the flop 3-bet might have been a bit much, though I like it a lot.
turn - I love it, but the 3-bet freaks me out, could he have AdKd? I guess I shoulda capped it, although it's possible one of the other two has K9....

Anyway, I figure that if I'm not beat already, the river card probably kills me if it's an A,K,Q,J,T,9, any [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and quite likely any [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. So even if I'm ahead, I may have as few as 15 "outs" here.

on to the results:
River: (24 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero folds, SB calls.

Final Pot: 30 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Ad Js (straight, ace high).
BB has Qs Ac (straight, ace high).
UTG has Ah 5d (straight, ace high).
Outcome: SB wins 10 BB. BB wins 10 BB. UTG wins 10 BB. </font>

Ha.
Before you go sqwaking at me for posting a bad beat, let me say that the result of this hand actually had me smiling, prolly because I was running nicely otherwise, and that I knew I was at the right table. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Re: you know you\'re at the right table when....(LC)

I'm curious about the preflop call. Is this standard? Seems pretty bad to me.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:14 AM

Chalk it up to trying to loosen myself up. I've been playing around 20/15, trying to work my way up to something like 25/17.
Maybe this isn't the right spot to do it...
Old 08-05-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. In SH, you really have to punish openlimpers if you have anything like a playable hand. You need to fold or raise here; calling is a distant third best. For me, 98 just doesn't have enough oomph to pull it off.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. In SH, you really have to punish openlimpers if you have anything like a playable hand. You need to fold or raise here; calling is a distant third best. For me, 98 just doesn't have enough oomph to pull it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold it, but I can see limping 9T and definitely JT. It depends a bit on the table. If it's a passive table, limping 89 can work fine. You really don't want to raise with it since you're working implied odds with the hand anyway. There's no way you're ahead with 89 given the UTG limp and 2 random hands behind you. And given the UTG limper, there's almost no way you're getting HU as any loose BB, or even SB, player is almost certainly calling with those pot odds (yea, they don't calculate them, but once a couple people are in the BB never seems to fold).

A raise just sweetens it for whoever has the best hand.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:19 PM

Fold pre-flop.

I don't like the flop 3-bet. AK is a very likely hand for one of your opponents to hold so you really can't love a Q that much. Add onto that the possible flush draw against you and your equity doesn't look all that great. You're not raising for value and you don't benefit from shutting anyone out of the pot. Just call.

Turn looks fine. Why would you want to cap?

River fine.

Why are you so happy about this table? I like action too, but, apart from UTG, these guys didn't play all that badly. BB's turn 3-bet is bad, but with TPTK + gutshot to the nut straight and several trapped opponents it's not like he's giving you money here.

/mc
Old 08-05-2005, 12:45 PM

nothing to be curious about, that is a bad call. There is almost no justification and if Hero wants to loosen up - this is not the hand to do it with.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold pre-flop.

I don't like the flop 3-bet. AK is a very likely hand for one of your opponents to hold so you really can't love a Q that much. Add onto that the possible flush draw against you and your equity doesn't look all that great. You're not raising for value and you don't benefit from shutting anyone out of the pot. Just call.

Turn looks fine. Why would you want to cap?

River fine.

Why are you so happy about this table? I like action too, but, apart from UTG, these guys didn't play all that badly. BB's turn 3-bet is bad, but with TPTK + gutshot to the nut straight and several trapped opponents it's not like he's giving you money here.

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

SB calling 2 cold on the turn with 2nd pair + gutshot for an almost certain split isn't that bad? Not to mention that he flat called the river, closing the action, with the nuts.

BB overplayed his hand huge both on the flop and the turn, and I'd say he is giving me money - he's got to be behind and the only card he likes is another Q or a K for a split. UTG is a monster calling station, as is SB. It doesn't get much better than that.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:55 PM

Ok, they're worse than I thought.

/mc
Old 08-05-2005, 12:58 PM

Still, it's a little weird to be crowing about your opponent's mistakes when you made some questionable plays yourself.

/mc