Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: WSOP ME fantasy team?

The reason I said something like only top 250 was it would be impossible(I think) to figure out who came in 5000th place. So only people in the money should get points IMHO.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:14 PM

This is correct. Following the KISS theorem, it would be optimal to just have the scoring system mirror the WSOP ME $ payouts. Easy for all to tabulate/verify, and no complex mathematical formulae to keep track of.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could it kind of be done backwards.
You get a point for the finish place of your player.

For example:
1st Place= 1 Point
4356 PLace= 4356 Points

Player with the fewest points wins.

It would keep the math pretty simple allthough it might punish someone who goes out real early too much.

Just a thought. Though I would be willing to participate in this if it comes togather.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this "rotisserie" style point system. It is either between this or a budgeted draft based on bookie odds (too complicated).

With that said, there should be a draft. Without one, everyone would have near identical teams and it would just be a competition between the players who are not identical.

example:
team 1: ivey, cloutier, seidel, brunson, juanda, harman, harrington, layne flack, negreanu, david pham
team 2: ivey, cloutier, seidel, brunson, juanda, harman, harrington, layne flack, negreanu, gus hansen

I mean, this is simply an example, but I think that's close to the team that a lot of people would pick. My point is it's no longer fun when it's a last-longer bet between david pham and gus hansen (a small number of players). After all, the player pool is enormous and in a small 10-team league or whatever, the pros and well-known names will not run out.

Any pooh-bahs wanna run this? I'd definitely be down for a $20-50 buyin.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Could it kind of be done backwards.
You get a point for the finish place of your player.

For example:
1st Place= 1 Point
4356 PLace= 4356 Points

Player with the fewest points wins.

It would keep the math pretty simple allthough it might punish someone who goes out real early too much.

Just a thought. Though I would be willing to participate in this if it comes togather.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this "rotisserie" style point system. It is either between this or a budgeted draft based on bookie odds (too complicated).

With that said, there should be a draft. Without one, everyone would have near identical teams and it would just be a competition between the players who are not identical.

example:
team 1: ivey, cloutier, seidel, brunson, juanda, harman, harrington, layne flack, negreanu, david pham
team 2: ivey, cloutier, seidel, brunson, juanda, harman, harrington, layne flack, negreanu, gus hansen

I mean, this is simply an example, but I think that's close to the team that a lot of people would pick. My point is it's no longer fun when it's a last-longer bet between david pham and gus hansen (a small number of players). After all, the player pool is enormous and in a small 10-team league or whatever, the pros and well-known names will not run out.

Any pooh-bahs wanna run this? I'd definitely be down for a $20-50 buyin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do it either way....BUT you might want to check out Danile Negreanu's site. The fantasy deal there has it where you pick 20 people. There's 600+ teams and there are many with the same names. But just like in the NCAA pools that person to pick a few 12's to beat the 5 wins some cabbage.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:28 PM

2 suggestions:

1. instead of $won, go with square root of $ won. So if 1st is $7mil, it would receive 2646 pts, and if 2nd is $3.5mil, it would receive 1871pts, etc. That should flatten out the points somewhat in the event that someone picks an unknown. But it still gives preference to higher finishes.

2. To avoid overduplication of picks, have everyone select 20 players instead of 10. I do this in golf, and there is always enough variety to avoid a tie. Draft would be a pain in the ass amongst strangers.

I have no solution on holding the money, but I get an honest vibe from NicksDad, so I might risk the minor investment.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I said something like only top 250 was it would be impossible(I think) to figure out who came in 5000th place. So only people in the money should get points IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I remember there being some listing of the place everyone placed it, but it would definitally be easier to just count those in the money.

As for selection. 20 players might be easier to avoid duplication and the hassle of a draft. Not like we can lump allot of good players into groups and have to pick 1 player from a group, which is what some golf fantasy games do to avoid this problem.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:18 PM

I would be interested if the semantics can be worked out.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2 suggestions:

1. instead of $won, go with square root of $ won. So if 1st is $7mil, it would receive 2646 pts, and if 2nd is $3.5mil, it would receive 1871pts, etc. That should flatten out the points somewhat in the event that someone picks an unknown. But it still gives preference to higher finishes.

2. To avoid overduplication of picks, have everyone select 20 players instead of 10. I do this in golf, and there is always enough variety to avoid a tie. Draft would be a pain in the ass amongst strangers.

I have no solution on holding the money, but I get an honest vibe from NicksDad, so I might risk the minor investment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the comfort. I know I can be trusted....but I understand hesitation. I don't want to burden some of the well known trusted people to do this. So if someone who IS trusted calls me and I give them enough info about myself then they could vouch for me and we could go from there.

I can think of some ways to make someone who doesn't know me trust me beyond a reasonable doubt (IMHO)
Old 06-29-2005, 05:55 PM

I'm in and would be willing to put together some sort of a website to aid in picks/rules/communication, etc.

But we'd have to move on it pretty quick to have it all in place by July 7.

NicksDad - If you'd like to get ahold of me shoot a mail to daniel.hoerr@gmail.com and we can discuss getting things moving along.

Daniel
Old 06-30-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I can think of some ways to make someone who doesn't know me trust me beyond a reasonable doubt (IMHO)

[/ QUOTE ]

I take back what I said about that honest vibe now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]