Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Willing to go broke?

Lets say it's a BIG WPT tourney. The blinds are 25-50 and a total of 6 people call. You have pocket 2's and no read on anyone because the tourney basically just started. The flop is J-4-2. Someone goes all-in before you and has you covered.

What do you do and why?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Willing to go broke?

What did the action look like before the flop? I would call though given the lack of information you presented.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:53 PM

I would have no problem folding bottom set early in a big tournament with no read whatsoever.

It all depends, of course, upon what your priorities are, and how well you stack up against the field. David points out a number of times in TPFAP that if you feel like you might be outclassed, you have to be willing to gamble more for big pots, for obvious reasons.

Otherwise, I see no reason to make this CALL with bottom set.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:54 PM

sounds like 6 limpers? smells like 2pair to me. if everyone had limped, i call.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:01 PM

with the information you gave, folding this is ridiculous. its quite possible that you could assume that you are up against a higher set 50% of the time, or that your predicted equity in the pot is less than 50%, so a fold is in order. under most circumstances hwoever, your equity is going to be enormous in this situation, and under those conditions, folding your set is simply terrible imho.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:42 PM

Call. My philosophy is you're there to place first, so going out 350th or 117th doesn't make much of a difference. I don't see anyone limping in with a higher pocket pair in this situation unless someone is getting very crafty early and is slowplaying pocket Aces. But even then he's gambling by giving the other limpers a chance to catch two-pair or better. What the other guy said about how you feel your skill level is related to the other players there is also very important. If you feel you can be outperformed in the long run you have to take more gambles. Call.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call. My philosophy is you're there to place first, so going out 350th or 117th doesn't make much of a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because coming in 3rd really blows.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:55 PM

well, i agree and disagree with you. i think its important to play for first place in tournaments that you can properly bankroll, but in tournaments where the money is significant to me i will definitely take less risks to hang in there and bump my payout. i think its +EV to play to win in tournaments, but the variance for me is -EV. 40k 50/100 times is better than 300k 1/100 times for me, because adding that amount of money to my bankroll should propel me into higher limits and more $/hr.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, because coming in 3rd really blows.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was early in the tournament bro. Pay attention! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2005, 06:13 PM

I'd probably call because someone with a higher set would not bet so much on the flop (they'd milk such an uncoordinated flop to SOME extent). If the flop was 8 4 2 or 7 4 2 I'd be a lot more concerned. I beleive a situation similar to this was covered in the NL section of supersystem where doyle talks about folding a low set.