Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Tunica - Grand and Horseshoe

I won't bore you with many details BUT...

I live in Memphis and my wife and I decided to get a room down there for Saturday. On Friday I wished that I made it for Fri and Sat. So I called to the Shoe and they said they were booked but they could get me a room at thr Grand. So it was the Grand on Friday and the Shoe on Saturday.

The rooms were excellent at both places. I'd give the slight edge to the Grand. The guy at the Shoe got me the room at the Grand for 49. It was supposed to be 139. The Shoe was 129 but I got the poker rate of 35 dollars.

Both poker rooms were nice but the Shoe's was way WAY nicer than the Grand's. There seemed like there were 10 awesome TV's and booked up action by noon on Saturday.

I realize there isn't much of a point to this thread but if you havn't been to Tunica at all or in a while you might want to give it a try.

P.S. - The staff was awesome at both places as well. I'd say especially the Show. Susan and the rest of em were awesome.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Tunica - Grand and Horseshoe

Different folks, different strokes....."queen of mean", is more like it....... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

P.S. - The staff was awesome at both places as well. I'd say especially the Show. Susan and the rest of em were awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-19-2005, 01:11 PM

I don't think I've ever had much of a problem with my treatment by anyone at the Shoe....and I'm generally particular about such things.

The Grand has been a bit brush-offish to me a couple times.....but it was nothing compared to the regular looks of "why are you bothering me?" from the staff of the Bellagio in Vegas ("ummmmm.....I just want to play 8/16 or 15/30....sorry to bother you.")

As I mentioned in another thread...we were VERY surprised on our spur-of-the-moment Tunica trip on Monday to find that the Gold Strike and Horseshoe rooms were sold-out.
On a Monday?!?!?! (this was about 2pm we got there....I juust never thought in a million years that calling ahead would be necessary on a Monday).

Lesson to be learned is ALWAYS call ahead and reserve a room because you just never know.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:50 PM

Bob, When were you at The Bellagio?

I was there during March Madness and there was a floor fella there with the last name of Meucci. He was in control and very friendly. But for the most part I agree with you. There was a lady there one time that would barely speak to me when I was trying to get a game.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:33 PM

july during wsop. very crowded and they were predictably overwhelmed. but still were just plain rude.

we had a thread or 2 about bellagio room staff a few weeks ago and most of the LV 2+2'ers were in general agreement about their staff to greater or lesser degrees.

of course, sincei had never played in vegas before and was used to tunica i kept waiting for them to throw food comps at me and bring me food to the table. doesnt quite work that way for lower limit players in LV i eventually figured out.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
of course, since i had never played in vegas before and was used to tunica i kept waiting for them to throw food comps at me and bring me food to the table. doesnt quite work that way for lower limit players in LV i eventually figured out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's any poker room that bestows food comps on you like the ones in Tunica. Tunica trip=free food. For everywhere else, there's MasterCard. (and some/partial comps). LOL
Old 10-20-2005, 07:13 AM

How is the Gold Strike as far as comps?

Last Saturday the Show gave me two to the snak bar for lunch, two for the buffet for dinner and two for the snack bar the next morning for breakfast.

If they would have just given me some of that bad beat jackpot. Has it been hit this week?
Old 10-20-2005, 09:37 AM

Nicks, what were you playing and did you have difficulty getting on a table at either place? I go to Tunica 1-2 times a month. Usually I play at Gold Strike because of game selection (lot of 1/2 NLH tables and 4/8 O8) and comps (always eat free). I quit going to The Grand because I don't like 4/8 limit hold em which seems just about the only game regularly spread (at least when I've showed up). Any thoughts on how The Shoe compares for game selection, i.e. variety? Maybe I should just try it on my next trip.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:36 PM

I would try the Shoe again. If I remember correctly they had 6-8 4-8 LHE, a few 1-2 or 2-5 NLHE, 15-30 or 20-40 LHE, 2-10 stud, maybe a 1-5 stud and what "appears" to be the nightly high limit game there is one where they play 3 or 4 different games (switching every dealer???)

But I have had nothing but good times and been treated great at The Shoe and The Grand.