Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: A Question for Semi-Pros Out There

[ QUOTE ]
I work in finance as well, generally 55+ hours/week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about you, but a lot of this is "face time" where I work. Of course, a full day of "face time" makes for an easy day, but I often wonder why my employer won't let me just go home. After all, I've had to work extreme hours before trying to get stuff done for our clients.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:10 AM

Berry's book has a section on this, and i think we all have these problems.

Over the summer I lived at home (I go to school) and worked full time. When I got home, I was always very tired. I would go to the gym, then come home and play for 2-4 hours. I never played better. I built my bankroll and was a consisten 5/106max player at that point.

Then I came to school.

Sitting around and playing was tough because people wanted to come in and watch, etc. I played with my laptop in the common room, and was just bleeding away money. I finally put a stop to it.

I bought a desktop, set up a workstation in my bedroom and set a rule that I will only play when I feel I can 3-4 table and I've been doing well ever since.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:21 PM

In general, I don't play if my head is fried from work. Sometimes I feel like I have to. I usually play 4-8 tables at a time, but when I don't have 100% focus I play only 1 or 2 and I play at stake levels below my normal. If your used to playing 6 tables of 5/10, you probably wouldn't have a problem watching some TV while playing 2 tables of 2/4.

I think it also depends on your current life & bankroll situation. As a part timer, I have had poker income in my family budget for about a year and a half. If I don't come up with the poker money, and I go broke, I have to go get a part time job to replace that income. In your situation, it sounds like you're playing to attain a monetary goal to open a business. Although your entrepreneurial drive may dictate that this needs to get done ASAP, one would probably agree that I have a bit more pressure on me given the scenarios. (this is not a woe is me comment, it's just to illustrate different "semi-pro" situations.)

One of the things I find myself considering a lot when determining if I "have to" play is what kind of shape my bankroll is currently in. If it's quite a bit above comfortable, I'll usually opt not to play, and vise versa.

I have certain days scheduled to play. This can help get you mentally prepared throughout the day. The simple fact that I know that tonight is poker night gets me to a certain level of focus on my game. The whole key to this is not to play every day. Do you play evey day? I do some weeks, but with a regular job in addition to poker I end up working 12-16 hour days all week which can totally drain you. If you do play every day now, I would minimally schedule a day that you don't play.

Good Luck
Old 11-23-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think it also depends on your current life & bankroll situation. As a part timer, I have had poker income in my family budget for about a year and a half. If I don't come up with the poker money, and I go broke, I have to go get a part time job to replace that income. In your situation, it sounds like you're playing to attain a monetary goal to open a business. Although your entrepreneurial drive may dictate that this needs to get done ASAP, one would probably agree that I have a bit more pressure on me given the scenarios. (this is not a woe is me comment, it's just to illustrate different "semi-pro" situations.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Granted...being a semi-pro means different things to different people. Of course, having a job can be the same.

[ QUOTE ]
have certain days scheduled to play. This can help get you mentally prepared throughout the day. The simple fact that I know that tonight is poker night gets me to a certain level of focus on my game. The whole key to this is not to play every day. Do you play evey day?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play everyday, but, like you, I do tend to schedule days. Overall, I opt for flexibility. I do avoid playing on some days even if I'm in a "play everyday" mode. This tends to keep me fresh.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:52 PM

Another thing I do, is play in bed. I got myself one of those laptop stands on wheels from staples for 50 bucks. I roll the laoptop near me, put the mouse on the bed, and watch something on tv or listen to the radio. It's not neccesarily good for focus, but the relaxation factor is pretty good when I'm beat.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:58 PM

you don't work every day do you? why not shift more poker time away from weeknights and more to the weekend?
Old 11-24-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're in a good situation. The full time pro MUST put his hours in, whether he's playing his "A" game or not. Only 15 hrs/week makes for a flexible schedule. The great thing about being a semi-pro is that poker is still more "hobby" than job. If you don't make your 15 hrs, so what? It's not your primary income source.

Don't hold yourself to the 15 Hr quota. If you feel great and want to play more, go for it. If you're tired/unmotivated, recognize that, cut your hours, and don't donate your winnings. All in all I think us semi-pros have it the best [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Whatever suits you best but having to get those 30+ hours of poker per week is a doddle compared to having to go to work full-time.

chez
Old 11-24-2005, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you don't work every day do you? why not shift more poker time away from weeknights and more to the weekend?

[/ QUOTE ]

No...and I try to shift as much to the weekend as possible. I play well on the weekend anyway since I didnt wake up to an alarm clock (that wretched invention).