Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Open Pushing Spreadsheet

First, I would like to point out that 2+2'er eastbay has a great looking set of cashing equity S&G tools. I have not registered these yet, but I am sure I will in the next week or so. Good stuff.

I posted last week about making a spread sheet showing what percentage of the time you need to win if called to make open pushing +EV with an arbitrary stack and set calling standards for the whole table. I have finished the spread sheet, which has the following list of assumptions:
<ul type="square">
The chance of anyone having a calling hand is independant of anyone elses hand, with the exception that the spread sheet has two columns for each calling standard: one where you have an ace in the hand, one where you do not.

There will be only one caller if anyone calls.

If you are called, you are called by someone who has you covered.[/list]
Additionally, I have an adjustment factor if called to account for the fact that you may be called by one of the blinds (which the user can modify, I just slapped in some notional nominal values). You can also put in the value of ante's in terms of big blinds.

This sheet allows for someone to easily adjust the range of hands people will call with. It does not allow for easily putting in a mix of calling standards at various spots. It does allow for you to set your stack size (which, as one can imagine, is hugely important).

I also put in there EV in terms of BB and percentage of stack given specific winning chances.

So, how would you use this? Using pokerstove and the calling range of hands, one can see their winning chances and see the impact in terms of TC EV by open pushing.

Really, the sheet is nothing earth shattering, but facilitates investigating scenarios. If someone wants to host it I will shoot it to them. I don't mind emailing it, but I don't want to get swamped with requests.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Open Pushing Spreadsheet

durron597 has hosted it here if anyone wants it. Thanks durron!
Old 07-05-2005, 03:48 PM

I also created a similar tool, only I used your hand as an input, and you could adjust the caling range (constant for all players). It takes into account the remaining stack sizes, as well as getting called by a blind.

You need to manually input:
The calling range (including total combos)
Your equity vs the range
stack sizes, blinds, antes, etc.

If you would like to post this as well, PM me.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:21 PM

I believe there is an error in cell u66. I think the final value should be ...-0.5 not ...-10.5
Old 07-05-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe there is an error in cell u66. I think the final value should be ...-0.5 not ...-10.5

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, fat fingers at work!
Old 07-05-2005, 04:29 PM

I'm tryng to process all of the data on the sheet. What hands does the final chart have you pushing with? Any? Does it factor in your chance to draw out?
Old 07-05-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm tryng to process all of the data on the sheet. What hands does the final chart have you pushing with? Any? Does it factor in your chance to draw out?

[/ QUOTE ]

The way the spread sheet is set up, there are several possible calling ranges. For each of these ranges, with n people left to act, you can see what percentage of the time you need to win if called to make pushing +ev for a given starting stack.

If you need to win less than 10% when called, pushing with any 2 should be +EV since the WORST match up pre flop has you winning something like 1 in 16. The worst realistic bad situation has you winning like 18% of the time.

Also, at the bottom, if you run a specific hand against one of the ranges, then enter in its winning chances, you can see the EV for pushing with the hand.

There is a ton of situations covered on the sheet. I would only look at one piece at a time. For instance, with 5 BB left at a full "normal" table, you can open push any two from MP1 on, or any ace from UTG+1 on, and expect the move to be +EV. That's pretty significant.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

duron has fixed this on the hosting site.