Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 10:05 AM

Default I still can\'t deal with (even little) downswings.

The day before yesterday I found my new top-star for the buddy list. VPIP about 90% and a lot of rasing and calling with nothing. I followed the guy from 3/6 to SH 5/10 6 max. and it was a real good night: I won about $ 700. The guy lost about $ 800 only in the 170 games I was on the table with him.
Today I found no really good tables, but I found him again at 3/6 and he was again money spewing like the day before yesterday. I had a win about $ 180 in 1 hour at this table, he has gone broke on the 3/6 table and I followed him again to SH 5/10. And now the disaster begun: I won the first game and since this not a single pot for about 100 games, the guys cracked everything. Total loss today is only $ 220 and if I add the day before yesterday it is still a total win of $ 480. At least very good, but I am feeling as I would have a gastric ulcer.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: I still can\'t deal with (even little) downswings.

I am feeling as I would have a gastric ulcer.>>>>

It shouldn't feel like that if you're playing within your bankroll. Are you? If not drop down, find a favorite fish at a lower limit and go get him.

If you have the $3,000 that you ought to have for 5/10, you're fine...get used to it. You need this guy to win a little or he be extinct too soon.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:13 AM

22 BB's doesn't even count as a freakin swing.

If you can't handle this:

1) Don't play 5/10 SH
2) Don't play against this type of opponent.
3) Consider playing something other than poker.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:37 AM

I'm with you. I was up 60 BB 2 weekends ago, then after this last I was down 70BB (net -10). The net isn't bad, but it's just so frustrating to go through a streak of cold cards. My last 1000 hands I'm WTSD of 28% with W$SD of 42%....just nothing in the cards, every flush misses, two nut boats beat by quads (that alone accounts for nearly over -20BB).

I was almost rich though on a couple beats....two times I had a river card to come that could have hit the $300,000 BBJP on party poker.

But, I try to console myself by looking at my month overall. I more or less surpassed my month's goal early, so even with this setback, I'm not far from my original goal.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
22 BB's doesn't even count as a freakin swing.

If you can't handle this:

1) Don't play 5/10 SH
2) Don't play against this type of opponent.
3) Consider playing something other than poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice. Until you can say you've had a 400BB downswing and not thrown anything you are pretty much a virgin.

I think chasing fish above your limits is a really really bad idea. Having a big bankroll relative to your limit (1000 BB) is a good idea.

Krishan