Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: pbdrunks on pstars is a clown

seem to remember reading something somewhere where if you think someone's on a steal and his stack is 10% or less than yours, then any two cards will do. it's 13% of your stack but you're already in 8K, push him AI.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:35 PM

I had the pleasure of playing with PB yesterday at the 18:30 rebuy. The moment I got to the table he was complaining about something. My first thoughts were he was a bit of a whiner. Though, I've played with him before and he's been perfectly fine. I think it depends on the mood.

I did knock him out, AK against his AQ. He took it well. Wished me a gg and was on his way.

I think we're all kinda "off" at times. Some more than others.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:01 PM

I don't get it? Where is the brilliance in this play? I understand the value of knocking out a player of his caliber but I think that the drawback of doubling him up is much greater and you're basically doing everything you can to do that.

If I was at your table I'd think you were purposely chip dumping no matter what he flipped over.

At any rate, if the goal is simply to get rid of him, call and hope for a reasonable bb who is after the same goal and check it down unless the flop comes down as it did, at which point, try to build up a side pot with the bb. I absolutely hate when people make this play and double up a shorty who's on his way out. I'm just a donk though so please someone enlighten me with the brilliant strategy behind an isolation move with a hand that's not that strong against a random hand.

That being said, his reaction sounds a bit sub-par but such is the game of poker. We all think we're better than the players who bust us about 90% of the time.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I was at your table I'd think you were purposely chip dumping no matter what he flipped over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Even though he was getting 2:1 on a desperate shortstack with 2.5BB that only represents 10=15% of his stack?
You must send a lot of emails to Pokerstars.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:13 PM

That was a bit on the sarcastic side. My point was that I personally hate when people try to be the short stack police and end up doubling them up time and time again by coming over the top with hands that only a broken random card generator should ever give people. I especially hate it when they do this to a player of pbdrunks skill level.

PS he didn't risk 15% of his stack, he risked 30% by coming over the top of him with total garbage.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That was a bit on the sarcastic side. My point was that I personally hate when people try to be the short stack police and end up doubling them up time and time again by coming over the top with hands that only a broken random card generator should ever give people. I especially hate it when they do this to a player of pbdrunks skill level.

PS he didn't risk 15% of his stack, he risked 30% by coming over the top of him with total garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you prefer to let the shortie add 60% or so to his stack with no risk?

I think the play was fine. He was clearly getting the right odds against shorties range.

And I don't think the risking the raise is as strong a point as people are making out since he had a read on the BB.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:45 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the play was fine. He was clearly getting the right odds against shorties range.

And I don't think the risking the raise is as strong a point as people are making out since he had a read on the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think the raise is exactly what negates any odds he has for calling. Thanks for trying, but you're not telling me anything I don't know and I still think it's a bad play.

Just because good players sometimes make the play doesn't make it a good one and I remain unconvinced.

I appreciate your reasoning though. I am fairly new to the forum and I generally find most of the information here very valuable and have learned much in a short time but I disagree with most on this thread and can find no redeeming qualities in making this play. I guess that's why I'm not superb with a big stack.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call and hope for a reasonable bb who is after the same goal and check it down unless the flop comes down as it did,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the worst out of the three options.
Specifically. What didn't you like about the play? I'm still thinking that it was a low risk way to add to your stack, knock out a player (even if he wins you've still got him seriously outchipped), and you are getting odds.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:09 PM

If he wins yes. The biggest(I have several) problem with this move as I see it is the raise. I know he had a read on the bb blah blah blah. The problem is he had no reasonable knowledge of the bb's hand. IMO not only does the isolation move negate any odds he had to make the call but provides him with some pretty darn oppressive reverse implied odds IMO. I think that had he not posted the results of this hand, people would be thinking a lot differently about this move.

What happens when you make this move, the bb cold calls you w/AA and the flop comes down AQ5? BB has you covered and when you raise him with a horrible hands the reverse implied odds are exactly the size of your stack every single time IMO. In this case it worked so everyone says it's a great move, but I've seen people make similar moves that have blown up in their faces and when they posted them on this very forum with the opposite results we see here they get railroaded (for good reason IMO)
Old 10-26-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he wins yes. The biggest(I have several) problem with this move as I see it is the raise. I know he had a read on the bb blah blah blah. The problem is he had no reasonable knowledge of the bb's hand. IMO not only does the isolation move negate any odds he had to make the call but provides him with some pretty darn oppressive reverse implied odds IMO. I think that had he not posted the results of this hand, people would be thinking a lot differently about this move.

What happens when you make this move, the bb cold calls you w/AA and the flop comes down AQ5? BB has you covered and when you raise him with a horrible hands the reverse implied odds are exactly the size of your stack every single time IMO. In this case it worked so everyone says it's a great move, but I've seen people make similar moves that have blown up in their faces and when they posted them on this very forum with the opposite results we see here they get railroaded (for good reason IMO)

[/ QUOTE ]

But what is the BB's range for calling your raise vs. raising your raise vs. calling your call?
That's like saying Hero shouldn't raise JJ here because the BB might pick up a big hand. Monsters-under-the-bed.
Or what if he calls you with 52 and the flop comes 552. You're screwed then too. there's always a flop you can go bust on.