Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 01:48 AM

Default all minimum wage laws should be abolished

If passing minimum wage laws are the secret to raising wages, then why doesn't the government make everybody rich by setting the wage to a million dollars? Would this solve poverty, or would this make everyone -- who produces less then the million dollar minimum wage -- unemployable? The truth is that those who don't produce enough to merit the minimum wage will become unemployed by such laws, and those who do produce more then the minimum wage don't need such laws. The people who get screwed the most by minimum wage laws are the least employable of society. When the minimum wage goes up businesses need to reduce costs in order to stay competitive and usually do this by laying off the least qualified employees.

If a person wants to work for four dollars an hour and an employer wants to hire somebody for four dollars an hour then they ought to be allowed to make this transaction withour being called criminals.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: all minimum wage laws should be abolished

Awesome first post!!
Old 07-31-2005, 04:33 AM

Hey man couldn't agree with you more, you said it my friend, keep up this pro free market economy discussion.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome first post!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the logic in this post but it doesn't really discuss anything that we didn't already know. You can find something similar to this in most economic textbooks.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:07 AM

So how do you explain America becoming the super power that it is and having the world's strongest economy, since the minimum wage laws have been around for over 60 years?

Could you find something else that isn't broke and fix it?
Old 07-31-2005, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome first post!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the logic in this post but it doesn't really discuss anything that we didn't already know. You can find something similar to this in most economic textbooks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please quote one economic text book that concurrs with the naive and utterly incorrect analysis of the OP.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:34 AM

They all do. That exact analysis is taught in every Eco 101 course in every college in the world.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:37 AM

America is christian, it is the worlds strongest economy, therefore being Christian is good for teh economy.

I mean seriously, I can come up with irrational non-contextual relational arguements too. As long as I don't have to analyze WHY there is a correlation I can come up with any bullshit I want.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:45 AM

"If passing minimum wage laws are the secret to raising wages, then why doesn't the government make everybody rich by setting the wage to a million dollars?"

-If getting enough vitamin C is the secret to avoiding colds, they why doesn't everyone never get a cold by taking two million mg. a day?

"When the minimum wage goes up businesses need to reduce costs in order to stay competitive and usually do this by laying off the least qualified employees."

-Evidence, please?
Old 07-31-2005, 10:57 AM

except minimum wage laws are a part of ecomonic policy, and this economic policy has produced the world's strongest economy. You view this as a irrational non-contextual relationship?