Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 01:43 AM

Default Re: help me

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to get blasted all to hell for this- I limp CO with QJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you ever steal?
Old 10-30-2005, 04:50 AM

Not enough, and rarely from the CO [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

From the button I try to steal with a lot more hands, including all K-high, A-high, pairs, and big suited connectors. But then again, given that description, I might not be "stealing".

Are there any hands you're just calling with in the CO?

What hands are you stealing with on the button? i.e, what's the most junk you'll steal with?
Old 10-30-2005, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what's the most junk you'll steal with?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have reads on the blinds, if they're tight enough, it can become correct to steal with any 2 on the button, moreso in the SB.

I don't see any reason not to open with QJo in the CO. Easy open even 2 and 3 otb.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:09 AM

raise the flop a) to try to push out old tymer and b) try to get free card on turn and c) confuse the enemy.

and if you're gonna call the turn be prepared to call the river unimproved. So often on this board I see posts which read 'where did i go wrong here' and it's calling the turn and folding on the river time and time again. If you're gonna showdown 2nd pair, decide to do it at the turn, not change your mind at the river. You didn't have pot odds to see the river nayway. 45 minutes to type 13 lines?
Old 10-30-2005, 06:13 AM

Firstly preflop is as standard as it gets not raising here is a serious mistake, so I wouldnt listen to rockboys advice.

On the flop I probably just fold this without a decent read otherwise you want to raise, bet the turn and take a free showdown. You do this hoping he is on a draw or has a weak Q you also preferably get SB out. If he does have a King you lose 1SB less as you save that by not needing to bet the river.

River fold is fine, most sane opponents will have you beat here.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
turning stone 20 40
fold to me in the cut i razzzzze it up wit JQ off
blinds call flop is KQ6 3 suits
sb is has got to be 90 and will never bet or raise unless he has a 2 pair minimum will just call every pair down
bb seems to open preflop with bad hands alot but havent seen him donk bet like this yet
sb cks, bb leads ,i call first mastake?

the guys range is basically any Q or any K or 10 9
i think they will almost auto defend my raises so even hands like k2 or Q2 are possible
anyways i called the flop so did the old tymer

the turn came a blank sb cks bb bets again and we both called again
river a 10 came off the bb bet and i folded

i appreciate the help guys
these donk bets are hard to tell where you stand

[/ QUOTE ]

From your description of the BB you should deffinately raise the flop, bet the turn, and check the river if unimproved. However, if the old timer cold calls your flop raise then i'd check/fold the turn and river unimproved.

And I stroooooongly disagree with anyone saying that QJ is not a good hand to open-raise with on the Co. I think that's weak/tight poker.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:41 PM

Preflop is fine.

On the flop, you need to raise. There are three reasons to raise. The first is to isolate yourself with the bettor. You don't want someone with a naked pair drawing cheaply for that second pair, and there is a very good chance that you'll get the 90 y/o to lay down a large range of hands including some hands that have you beat (K10, KJ, K9, AQ, etc...). The second reason you need to raise is because you want to find out where you are. If BB pops you back for a 3 bet, then you know you are beat. By just calling, you have no idea where you are, and you are playing defense the rest of the hand. The third reason to raise is as a value raise. You could very well be ahead of him already, and it is important to be aggressive and maximize these small edges.

Once you call the turn, you better be calling the river. You don't have the odds calling on the turn if you are positive you are behind, but since you obviously weren't sure if you were behind or not, calling the turn and folding the river is just plain silly. The pot is big enough now where you have decent enough odds to put in that call on the river.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:55 PM

Ugh.

The raise pre-flop is ridiculously standard. Even one spot earlier is super standard. Open limping here is silly. folding is silly as well.

Call the flop, call the turn, call the river.

Boring. Next hand.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:22 PM

Am I the only one who raises JTo from the CO?
Old 10-30-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who raises JTo from the CO?

[/ QUOTE ]

In this situation, no. But, I am intereste to hear what others say, as its one of thos trouble hands for me.