Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 03:21 PM

Default do i value bet A-high against a \"brownTrowt\"?

so is this a value bet or do i try to induce a bluff? (his flop and turn aggression were very high but river was < 2)

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (3.20 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 3.20 BB
Old 05-04-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: do i value bet A-high against a \"brownTrowt\"?

I don't think your getting called by K high or a worse ace on the river, most aces that are going to call you will beat you. I'd check and try to snap off a bluff from QT or something that took a free card.

Surf
Old 05-04-2005, 03:34 PM

wow, that's really obvious. i'm clearly not thinking straight. i was just thinking about all the hands he could hold that are worse... but he wouldn't be calling with a whole lot of them.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:36 PM

Does anyone 3-bet this PF? Against an aggressive stealer A9 would seem to fare very well.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:37 PM

btw, does anyone consider gaybetting the turn? check-raising?
Old 05-04-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone 3-bet this PF? Against an aggressive stealer A9 would seem to fare very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This exact question came to mind when I saw this post, luckily you already asked. I think I would lean to 3-betting against an aggressive opponent.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:42 PM

Not my standard line, but one of the 2+2 magazine articles (by Jockusch) suggests c/r'ing the flop.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:43 PM

While I could 3-bet this from the SB to fold BB out, I'll often just call this from the BB, as the flop is going to be a big determining factor as to how I proceed.

3betting is definitely a viable option, especially if he is a loose stealer it will help keep him off your blinds.

Surf
Old 05-04-2005, 04:08 PM

Value betting the river is bad in my opinion. I would have 3-bet PF or call then c/r flop. Throw in a raise while its cheap to find out where you stand. Then take command on a blank turn if he doesn't fire back.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:03 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

he's a solid player. I'd be surpsied if he doesn't have A high here. the question is which A high. I think he missed an easy bet if he has a good A high. I don't know if you can trust him to make a bet with that but if that's me I think I have A2, A5, A6 every time. or maybe he didn't think you'd call the flop without at least A high and is giving up. if his turn aggression is high I'm assuming he's pushing a lot. that river seems pretty bad. if it was a rag I'd bet at it and expect him to fold or you to outkick him (or occasionally him call with AJ that would've bet anyway). now I think you have to check. I don't know that you're good if he bets 25% of the time. guys with river aggressions that fall off tend not to bluff enough (says Nate). since he checked I guess he shut down with JT or something. if he had AT then maybe I give him too much respect