Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Stop\'N\'Go

No Read on MP3 Villian - he just sat down.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

Good or Bad?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Stop\'N\'Go

I think good

Why didn't you raise pre-flop?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think good

[/ QUOTE ]
Because, in spite of a probable equity advantage things are going to change greatly one way or the other on the flop and I'm out of position against 4 players. Since I'm already in I'm content to see a flop and then decide how to best protect (or get value from) my hand in what's already getting to be a decent-sized pot.

Basically, not raising PF leaves me the option to checkraise the flop if I so choose. On this flop, with the board paired, a 2-flush, and likely the best hand I thought leading out with what is probably large equity advantage was the best way to go.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:59 AM

you're still giving up a lot of equity at low limits with a hand that plays well multi-way, and you're ignoring the benefits of having raised preflop in your postflop play.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think good

[/ QUOTE ]
Because, in spite of a probable equity advantage things are going to change greatly one way or the other on the flop and I'm out of position against 4 players. Since I'm already in I'm content to see a flop and then decide how to best protect (or get value from) my hand in what's already getting to be a decent-sized pot.

Basically, not raising PF leaves me the option to checkraise the flop if I so choose. On this flop, with the board paired, a 2-flush, and likely the best hand I thought leading out with what is probably large equity advantage was the best way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect. I love this answer. I think a lot of people see AQo and instinctivly raise it up. Raising AQo is not always the best way to go IF
1) You are out of position.
2) A raise won't protect your hand at all.

Always know WHY you want to raise.

EDIT: and looking at pokerstove numbers. I think those are for hands at showdown. It is tough to use those numbers unless you are a calling station that will call down with anything. As far as varying play. Show your unraised AQ. You'll be surprised at the respect you get when you next raise TJs from the BB and lead the flop.

EDIT: I Play 3/6 and 4/8 live so mileage may vary.

LLL
Old 09-21-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: I Play 3/6 and 4/8 live so mileage may vary.

[/ QUOTE ]
In my limited recent B&amp;M experience those limits play pretty close LIVE to how 2/4 plays online.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:52 PM

thats probly how id play it
Old 09-20-2005, 10:55 PM

What was your plan if the turn card wasn't so helpful?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was your plan if the turn card wasn't so helpful?

[/ QUOTE ]
HU - check/call the turn; bet/fold the river. I'm not losing that much if he checks behind with a flush draw. Even so, I'm not too worried about him checking behind because it's HU and most players will bet that flush draw again hoping to fold me out. I want to get one BB in on each of the turn and river but I think I can safely fold most river cards if he raises.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:23 PM

nm