Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2004, 06:49 PM

Default Ron Rose

My UFC fan friend just pointed me towards this article at http://www.mmaweekly.com (Under Today's news, then click on Thursday) Anyone know anymore?:

"(Ron Rose takes IFC money)
POKER PLAYER ALLEGDEDLY TAKES FIGHT MONEY

Kenny Rogers made the song "The Gambler" famous many years ago, telling people "know when to hold them, know when to fold them." Former World Series of Poker player, Ron Rose, evidently knew "when to walk away and when to run" with the International Fighting Championships money.

In a truly bizarre story the past 24 hours, MMAWeekly.com broke the story yesterday on our Soundoff Forum that the IFC's partner for the Sturgis effort, multiple time world poker champion Ron Rose, played a stunning hand. Rose without a word, shut down the E-tickets computers used to purchase IFC and Sturgis Music Festival tickets, took the computers and the thousands of dollars in cash collected so far and bolted out of Strugis. His whereabouts at this time are unknown.

IFC commissioner Paul Smith has been frantically working behind the scenes to make sure that the show goes on but as of now fighters have been told to not take their flights to Sturgis unless they hear back from the IFC. The International Fighting Championships was hoping to hear something by 10am this morning, but as of press time the event was not happening.

This fight card, featuring Jeremy Horn vs Nathan Marquardt, not to mention the rest of the Sturgis Music Festival featuring BB King among other groups has become a casualty. A 15 thousand seat arena is empty as it has taken a huge chunk of the celebration out of the biker rally in South Dakota."
Old 08-12-2004, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Ron Rose

That's a crazy [censored]ing story if it's true.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a crazy [censored]ing story if it's true.

[/ QUOTE ]

That article doesn't have its facts straight. More info will be revealed as time goes on, not that I know anything.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:10 PM

That article doesn't have its facts straight. More info will be revealed as time goes on, not that I know anything.

you are 100% correct. it is a guarantee that this story will not pan out to a crack head pulling a heist. i don't know the details, but i know enough about poker ron rose to know there is more to it.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:14 PM

I don't know Ron personally, so this is targetted at Poker players and gamblers in general-- I do know that behavior like this is typical of a desperate degenerate gambler who has absorbed big time losses-- And lots of people involved in their lives would say things like "Out of all people, I can't believe HE did it."
Old 08-13-2004, 02:16 AM

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aber...ws/9381907.htm slightly different story
Old 08-13-2004, 02:30 AM

Yes! This is a much happier story to hear, for Ron at least!
Old 08-13-2004, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but why in the hell is he f'ng around with investing in an event like this?

How did Rose make his money prior to poker? Wasn't it something to do with computers? Or was it he was an accountant? I can't remember, I do remember he's from Dayton Ohio though.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure this ?? While he may have done nothing "wrong" he was responsible for a business venture that caused thousands to lose their money according to the article. Ron has seemed like a nice guy when I've seen him on TV, but I feel more for the small people that lost their money than the wealthy exec running the company.