Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 06:42 PM

Default NBA home teams - a winning endeavor or just luck?

Just wanted to check with some of you veteran NBA players on this trend I've seen in recent weeks. I've been playing strictly NBA home teams - except for last night's Miami & LAClipper lines - and it seems like an overwhelming amount of NBA home teams both win and cover.

I'm not foolish enough to not see that being on your home floor naturally gives you an advantage. But it doesn't seem like this is as successful an angle in other sports as it is in the NBA this year.

Have I just happened upon a stretch of this or has this been a trend in years past? An overwhelming trend that is...

Thanks for any feedback you can provide..
Old 12-01-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: NBA home teams - a winning endeavor or just luck?

make a 3rd thread plz
Old 12-01-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
make a 3rd thread plz

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny guy! Geeze, I made a mistake ... incidentally, is there a way to remove one of these?
Old 12-01-2005, 07:11 PM

Yes, you should be able to delete the other post. To be helpful, here is some info:

Home court is a huge advantage in the NBA. You could cite many things, including energy from fan support being more tangible and motivating than in other sports (due to smaller enclosed buildings compared to football and baseball). Familiarity and comfortability always help, and travel is a big factor in the NBA, where players fly cross-country multiple days in a row. The constant time zone switching, irregular sleep schedules, and tiredness from playing back-to-backs while traveling all hurt road teams in big ways.

04-05 NBA Standings

You have to be pretty bad not to win games at home. Last year, only 6 teams out of 30 had losing records at home. The other 80% all won. This year will probably look similar, with 5 losers and 1 tie so far.

Covering ATS is a whole 'nother story, obviously, since it would be too easy if it were not. Short answer is some teams are good home teams ATS, some are not. Gotta do your research, can't just pick home teams. Even home dogs, which many people love, are only average overall. Last year, home dogs actually lost, failing to cover 4 more times than they covered. Home favs were even.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:19 PM

Exactly what I was looking for..thank you for your insight.

As someone just recently getting into betting NBA games, I've always been told to BET, BET, BET against teams playing back to back nights. Last year, however, that didn't seem to work out for me.

This year, I started looking at that and, again, it didn't seem to work out. But in recent weeks, this home thing has seemed to come through.

Understand totally about the research and extraneous factors..case in point, last night with Miami (at Atlanta) and LACLippers (at Cleveland). However, interestingly enough, the five other home teams I bet covered.

Seriously though, thanks for your insight...I grow tired of the inane garbage some people post to actual serious posts.

Good luck tonight!
Old 12-01-2005, 07:34 PM

Thanks. By the way, home court usually swings a line by around 6 pts. HC advantage on average is worth 3 pts. Which means that if Team A would be favored to win by 3 against Team B on a neutral court, then Team A at home would be -6, and on Team B's court, it would be a pick-em. So you should recognize that you are paying for the HC advantage when you play home teams, and need to look for mismatches and teams that do not let up when ahead.