Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 04:05 AM

Default Should I use rebuys?

Every week I have a NL texas holdem tournament and usually get between 6-10 players. The buyin is $20 for T300. The blinds go up every 30min and I allow rebuys until the beginning of level 5. The rebuy only costs $10 for T300.
My problem is I find the play extremely loose for the first 2 hours with maybe only one or two people folding preflop (even with raises). This also makes the game go very slow with about 9 hands per a level (using 2 decks). There are many rebuys due to all the loose crazies. It's good that it puts more money in the pot but I would like the game to speed up alittle more and have fewer players to a flop.
So, I'm wondering what would be the best idea to try and limit the loose play.
Option 1: Take out rebuys completely and if you bust in the first hour too bad! Also, some might want a bigger buyin since there won't be any rebuys so maybe $30 buyin to compensate.
Option 2: Only allow rebuys if 7 players or less are playing because action is quicker with less people.
Option 3: Make the rebuy period end after level 3 (3-6 blinds and gives 90min of play) because in level 4 (5-10 blinds) is where most of the rebuys occur.
Option 4: Make the rebuy more expensive. $20, $30, $40????
Option 5: Leave it...
Option 6: Something else?
What do you guys think? Thanks for any input on this matter.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Should I use rebuys?

I vote 4. Make the rebuy the same amount as the buyin. Perhaps give a $20 reload for 450 chips at the end of the rebuy. Your structure rewards very loose play. Don't hate the playa, hate the game.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:02 AM

agreed...
Do you want fewer re-buy's... better players... more money in the pot for you to take?

Try a $15~$20 for 300 buy reload at $10 for 250 chips maybe
that way you can still play buy are forced to play at a disadvantage for the rebuy???
Old 11-29-2005, 10:29 AM

Make the rebuy same as the buy-in.

If that takes care of the problem fine, I would probably limit it to one re-buy or buy-in. (Or you can do two, or three or whatever floats your boat, but I like one). That lets people take a risk here or there but they still have to try and make good decisions or go home. Also end the rebuy period earlier.

--Zetack
Old 11-29-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The buyin is $20 for T300. The blinds go up every 30min and I allow rebuys until the beginning of level 5. The rebuy only costs $10 for T300.
My problem is I find the play extremely loose for the first 2 hours with maybe only one or two people folding preflop (even with raises). This also makes the game go very slow with about 9 hands per a level (using 2 decks). There are many rebuys due to all the loose crazies. It's good that it puts more money in the pot but I would like the game to speed up alittle more and have fewer players to a flop.
So, I'm wondering what would be the best idea to try and limit the loose play.

Option 1: Take out rebuys completely and if you bust in the first hour too bad! Also, some might want a bigger buyin since there won't be any rebuys so maybe $30 buyin to compensate.

Option 3: Make the rebuy period end after level 3 (3-6 blinds and gives 90min of play) because in level 4 (5-10 blinds) is where most of the rebuys occur.

[/ QUOTE ]

No rebuys may be painful for some people, since you don't have enough to start cash games up for early bustouts. Or does everyone just leave when they bust out?

I'd cut the rebuys to 3 rounds, make the rebuy $15 or $20 (for T300) and deal with the variance. Look at all of the dead money that should be going in there?