Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: You have aces in the sb and only player in is UTG

I was under the impression that a check/call lead showed more strength than a continuation bet on the flop, but I could easily be wrong, I don't really know what goes on in the mind of a maniac

If he's maniac enough I still like my line, but instead of folding to a turn raise I call/push it (if it's non- [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

In my experience with this line I don't tend to get raised much on the turn
Old 10-20-2005, 06:12 PM

Call or push is read dependent. Do whatever you think will get villain to push his chips. I think the only thing that potential kills your action is another [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] if villain has less than the nut flush.

I don't recall stack sizes, but if either of your stacks is about the size of the pot (after his $52 raise) then I push here, because more times than not villain is pot committed.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM

raise more preflop out of the blinds.

you might as well push the turn as J or flush is definitely calling.

unless if you think he is making this turn bet as a bluff with a wide variety of hands, push is correct IMO.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that a check/call lead showed more strength than a continuation bet on the flop, but I could easily be wrong, I don't really know what goes on in the mind of a maniac

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I also like the check call (not so much on this board) as a solid option. I think this one of those spots where you have to mix it up against good players if you want action on your monsters. I struggle when maniacs start throwing over bets out there. I will call when I have a read, but more times than not I will fold.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise more preflop out of the blinds.

you might as well push the turn as J or flush is definitely calling.

unless if you think he is making this turn bet as a bluff with a wide variety of hands, push is correct IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much, 4x the BB not enough so to 12? or 14? Give me a good sized here as I still want some decent action with my two rockets too.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually don't mind a check-call on the flop and lead turn here, keeps the pot very nicely under control

But betting the flop is ok too I guess

[/ QUOTE ]

I have very little interest in controlling the pot against a maniac with AA. My line here is often lead flop checkraise turn all in FWIW. With the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I like lead small, get raised and then bet river or if I'm really feeling it, checkraise river.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I actually don't mind a check-call on the flop and lead turn here, keeps the pot very nicely under control

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the check/call vs a LAG or other thinking player, but do you like to show any weakness (especially when you are weak) against a maniac? (Not sarcasm, but an honest question.)

[/ QUOTE ]

AA is not weak versus a maniac on this type of board.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the check/call vs a LAG or other thinking player, but do you like to show any weakness (especially when you are weak) against a maniac? (Not sarcasm, but an honest question.)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are weak (which, with AA, you never are, not against this guy), then just fold. You don't make money my out bluffing manaics, its just pointless. Never continuation bet unless you are willing to go the distance with A high.