Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Q8s on the button

i'm in a loose 10-20 game and I find Qh8h on the button, normally I don't play this hand, but my opponent who is wreckless and loose agressive limps in the cutoff after UTG limps in.

The SB calls. BB checks and we see a flop.

Flop is 8c 5s 5h.

Its checked to UTG who bets, the cuttoff raises, I reraise.
Both blinds fold, UTG calls, the cutoff calls.

Note on the game: Right now its 8 handed The game is usually a loose agressive game, with 4-6 players taking a flop.

UTG is a conservative player who seems to be one of the few players at the table who seems to have a clue and has some type of strategic play. He also is weak tight in some aspects where he fails to value bet fearing scare cards, with such hands as AA earlier. he raises premium hands from any position.

The cutoff is as loose as they come. He's usually agressive preflop and on the the flop. If he is agressive on the turn with a raise he usually has a pretty good hand. He paid off a flush of mine when I lead bet the turn into 5 opponents with the 5s8s from the SB and he called 2 times on a board of J 4s 2s turn 7s, river 8c. with Js9d. He's not the type you can move off a hand nor is he the type you should try to bluff. He is the type you bet into when you have it, and check when you don't.

So, now onto the hand.

UTG calls 2 cold from my reraise, and the cutoff calls.

I'm thinking that if UTG put the call in he must have a 5 in his hand or 67o. since I don't believe he'd limp in with a premium PP and there would be some slight hesitation in calling of my reraise not because he respects me but because of the presence of the board followed by the action.

On the turn falls an Ah.

Giving me a flush draw with my orignal top pair top kicker.

Both of my opponents check to me.

Now do I fire a bet here risking a checkraise from a probable trips or do I check here and take the free card.

Before I decided what I was going to do, I knew I pretty much had the cutoff beat, he was probably raising with an 8 in his hand, and the likelyhood of my 8 being bigger than his 8 is good. i figure I have him almost crushed here where he is drawing to 3 outs at best, so I'm not too worried about him being in the hand.
I also felt that if UTG did infact have a 5, he would checkraise blast the cutoff out of the hand, leaving himself with me (the underdog) in the hand and now since I picked up the heart draw I had an easy call on the turn if he did reraise.

Is it worth risking a bet here from a probable checkraise if UTG has a 5 or if he doesn't than he has a straight draw with 67.

Should I check and let the river slide off, or charge on through with a bet.

Pot Size is currently 7BB.