Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 10:21 PM

Default Semi-Life Crisis, need practical advice (longish)

I moved to austin on the first, confident that I had a good roomate and a job lined up.. then:

My roomate decides to let me know on the first that she isnt able to take out her usual (wtf!!) payday advance loans because the bank sid she wasnt good for it. Then she tells me she owes 300 on her electric bill and wants me to put it in my name because she cant pay that back.

I have a crisis of conscience: Im a nice/naive/stupid guy so I wont just walk out the door, and I already gave her my half of the rent. So I tell her that I cant float this expensive rent and will be moving to a dorm in january.

So that problem is slightly averted. Well, I was supposed to start my job orientation at chilis (I know) that sunday at 7:30. I didnt have my alarm clock with me, so she promised to wake me up. I woke up at about 11:30 to the sound of her taking a shower. K, Im pissed.

I am completely broke, took the last of my poker br out to pay for my half of the rent, and actually had to ask my cousin who lives in austin to loan me the gas money (I [censored] hate asking for [censored]). So Im back in houston, and my cousin tells me that he can get me a job delivering pizzas at Gattis.. he says it'll pay about $15/hr all told.

This brings up another problem: I havent been able to pay for insurance or registration on my car because the money just isnt there, but to get the job at Gatti's I'll need insurance. So I have to get insurance, probably in the form of my family's xmas gift to me. Well I havent heard back from my cousin yet, and I supposed to leave tonight.

Basically, I have no job, no money, no real place to stay and I need to attend texas state university in january. Im 21, and have 36 hours of credit; if I dont get to school this spring, Im pretty sure I'll write off my whole life as a failure and go be a pot smoking bum the rest of my life.

So what's my play? I need to locate a job that pays well enough to afford about 300-400 in rent, with some left over for food. I need a place to stay, and there's really nothing on craigslist.

basically, Im sure I'll get alot of tl;dr to this, and a ton of flaming. No matter, Im kind of at the end of my rope with this, and nothing anyone says on here can make it worse. If anyone could lend a piece of advice, either about a job, anyone they know who is looking for a roomate, or just a similar life experience, lemme know.

Thanks
-Eric
Old 12-08-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Semi-Life Crisis, need practical advice (longish)

reduce expenses, increase income and rid your life of the people who are causing you stress. start focusing on making good decisions. time will take care of the rest
Old 12-08-2005, 10:26 PM

Do you have parents or a sibling that you could live with until you get off your feet?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have parents or a sibling that you could live with until you get off your feet?

[/ QUOTE ]

my mom is in houston, Im staying with her right now till I go back to austin, but I really need to be in austin, working for january's rent payment... otherwise, well, Im footfucked.

I dont really know why I posted on OOT, but I needed to vent to someone, eh?

I need to get back there to secure a job, find a roomate, etc.. but I really dont wanna go back to living with that psycho bitch roomate of mine and her crazy ass dog. I dunno, its just not a comfortable situation for me, because I've lived on my own before and been completely fine, and didnt need help from anyone, Im not good at asking for it.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:34 PM

call your advisor at school and explain your problem, see if you can skip this semester without losing your placement in the fall. find a job. save up. go to school in september with money in the bank, so you don't have all this pressure on you. school isn't a race. delaying graduation by a year isn't going to kill you.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my mom is in houston, Im staying with her right now till I go back to austin, but I really need to be in austin, working for january's rent payment... otherwise, well, Im footfucked.

I dont really know why I posted on OOT, but I needed to vent to someone, eh?

I need to get back there to secure a job, find a roomate, etc.. but I really dont wanna go back to living with that psycho bitch roomate of mine and her crazy ass dog. I dunno, its just not a comfortable situation for me, because I've lived on my own before and been completely fine, and didnt need help from anyone, Im not good at asking for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a semester off, find a full time job in Houston and stay with your mom. Focus on getting your insurance and saving up some money for an apartment and emergencies. 3weeks to a month before moving back to Austin, search the classifieds for someone looking for a roommate and restart school, refreshed and refocused
Old 12-08-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call your advisor at school and explain your problem, see if you can skip this semester without losing your placement in the fall. find a job. save up. go to school in september with money in the bank, so you don't have all this pressure on you. school isn't a race. delaying graduation by a year isn't going to kill you.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is really good advice, and I would probably do it, except that I feel like such a dropout when Im not in school. I have all this potential, Im a smart guy and I am just not putting it together. Kinda makes me feel like a failure.

I think there's a possibility I would do this for the summer mini-mester, then continue in the fall.

regardless, thanks for the advice.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is really good advice, and I would probably do it, except that I feel like such a dropout when Im not in school. I have all this potential, Im a smart guy and I am just not putting it together. Kinda makes me feel like a failure.

I think there's a possibility I would do this for the summer mini-mester, then continue in the fall.

regardless, thanks for the advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

does your college have an online campus which would allow you to take a course or two while focusing on getting your house inorder?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:40 PM

Go open a Credit card. use it to pay the necassary things until you can at least get a job. LIVE VERY CHEAPLY FOR A COUPLE MONTHS! PAY OFF THE CREDIT CARD ASAP!. You also may qualify for some loans at school to help you out @ a much lower interest rate. I HATE the credit card option, but it seems like once you get on your feet you will be ok.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:40 PM

hmm, I would definitely need some advice on easy online courses, as my planned class schedule for this semester would be difficult online, I feel:

University physics 1
Calc 2
Discreet Mathmatics
Programming Fundamentals (do-over, botched class drop)
Fundamentals of 3-d design.

I think I'll try Programming Fundamentals.

Good advice again, thanks.