Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Proper bankroll for headsup NL on Stars?

Hi everybody:

Originally posted this yesterday in the heads-up/shorthanded forum and was told I'd probably get a better response over here, so here goes:

About how many buy-ins would you think would be the proper bankroll size for someone who was thinking about exclusively playing $5 and $10 no-limit headsup matches on Poker Stars? As far as my playing ability as compared to the average player at that level goes, I'd probably give myself about a 7.5 or an 8 on a scale of 1-10 (I've been using Harrington's basic headsup strategy from HOH2, with a few minor tweaks and randomizations thrown in to mix up my play - and have been doing OK with it in a very limited sample size of matches...my current record is 42-23, exclusively at $5+0.25 level). Due to the inherent variance and swinginess of headsup play, I would obviously assume you need far more than the normal 20-30 buyins a good player would need for a SNG or MTT, but approximately what is that number? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :-)

--Scott
Old 09-04-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Proper bankroll for headsup NL on Stars?

If you are consider yourself decent at HU I don't think you need much for SnG HU bankroll. I started with $50 on Stars and turned that into $300 in a couple weeks only playing when I needed a break from full ring game play.

I have only played about 85-90 HU games but I don't think variance is too brutal. 20-30 buyins is excessive. If you drop 10 in a row I would seriously look into giving it up then. The play at $5 and $10 takes an intellegence level slightly above a grapefruit to beat.

GL [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2005, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Proper bankroll for headsup NL on Stars?

there is a mathmatical way to figure this out. You have to approximate some variables and I would tell ya how if i wasnt so drunk right now. but it does work.