Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Stud/8 question regarding shorthanded games/SH selection

At what point (# of players) do most of you Stud/8 players out there consider the game to have gone shorthanded and adjust your starting hand requirements accordingly, playing more high hands and playing the game more like regular Stud? Also, do you consider 3 to a 7 or 8 low (the 8 with other possibilities for high) to still be playable hands in a short game or do you have to adjust their values down accordingly?

--Scott
Old 11-28-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Stud/8 question regarding shorthanded games/SH selection

I consider a short game at 5. Big pairs hold up more often and usually only one low will make. 7's do play here but 8's still are too weak, unless you are visibly the only player to go low and 3 are in already. If you limit your starting hand requirements too much in a short game, the antes and bring-ins will eat you up. Just my opinion...
Old 11-28-2005, 12:26 AM

There's not a firm cut-off of course,but,yea,the game starts to change complexion at about 4 or 5 handed.Low hands where the cards are close together are powerful sometimes.For example:You are BI with a 6 & op raises with a K.Your hole cards are 7,8 with 2 hearts in the hand,& your cards are live.Even though you have the weakest of low hands,any card except a KQJ will help you to some extent.If you call & catch good on 4th,this hand can become a monster.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:30 AM

how the game is played depends a lot on the blind structure rather than the # of players. but i'd consider shorthanded 4 or less.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:53 AM

I consider 4 people short-handed and simultaneously the time when I start playing high pairs.

In the $10/20 8/b game on Party, I fold kings all day long in every position except late (when I am trying to steal like any other hand). They are a huge moneyloser in that game.