Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Playing unsuited ace-rag from SB in an unraised pot

As a 0.25/0.50 PokerStars micro-limit player, I was wondering...when, if ever, would you play an unsuited ace-rag (rag=2-9 in this case) for a partial bet in the small blind, in an unraised pot? I would definitely play this hand in a 6-max or less game in those conditions, but is it correct, or at least not a huge error, to do so in a full ring? My guess would be that it wouldn't be a huge leak if you limped in in an unraised pot as long as you could get away from the hand if it became obvious you were beaten, but if this guess is wrong, by all means correct me. Also, would it be a huge mistake to limp in with a suited Kx on the cutoff or the button, again in an unraised pot, assuming there are 3 or 4 limpers ahead of me? Thanks in advance.

--Scott
Old 05-10-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Playing unsuited ace-rag from SB in an unraised pot

Generally, no. A9, A8 can probably be completed occasionally though, provided you're getting good odds.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, would it be a huge mistake to limp in with a suited Kx on the cutoff or the button, again in an unraised pot, assuming there are 3 or 4 limpers ahead of me?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, in fact it is very standard.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally, no. A9, A8 can probably be completed occasionally though, provided you're getting good odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with the blanket statement. It depends on the number of limpers, significantly. I would tend to fold the Axo hands where x<8 with a lot of limpers (a lot = 4) and lean towards completing with fewer limpers (fewer = 1 or 2). With a lot of limpers, I think the SB discount makes A9,A8 playable as you say.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:45 PM

I like to complete SB with Ax or Kx only if there are 1 or 2 limpers. Against a larger field, I think your kicker will frequently get you into trouble.

I also don't mind sneaking in a raise with A9o or KTo with 2 limpers if I'm in the button/CO.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:55 PM

Yeah, it largely depends on the size of the field.

With one or two limpers I often complete with any Ax off and the higher Kx offs (like, 7 and higher or so).

With 3 limpers I usually cut it off at around A8o or better and ditch anything less than K9o.

When it gets bigger than that I'm faily selective. Crappy offsuit hands out of position in large fields are not fun, even with the discount.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:59 AM

When? Rarely, very rarely.

If you do play A9 or A8, you're looking to see your rag become top pair, and hopefully make trips or two pair by the end. An ace on the flop is very scary. Anything smaller than A8 is a 3-out hand if an ace flops.

With *one* limper especially in late position, I will pop it with A9/A8/A7 in the SB, not call. Might get the BB out, top pair no kicker might win in a very small field, and you have the initiative and might be able to bluff a Kxx or Qxx flop.

If everyone at the table is limping I will complete the wheel-possibility ace-rags; the idea here is that I will have odds to check and call one bet with a gutshot, and otherwise dump it unless I flop two pair.

But with two, three, or four limpers, A9 and A8 might be profitable for an expert but arent for me, A7 and smaller are just poison. I throw them all away.