Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 12:23 PM

Default How to handle praise

I was watching college football last weekend and they had an interview with JoePa where he said that two things that determine how successful you become are how you handle criticism and how you handle praise. I have been in the 'real world' for almost a year an a half and I do poorly when I am praised.

Every time I get a bad review, I get real scared, bust my buns and improve my performance.

But the times I get good reviews and praise for my work, I become self-satisfied and complacent. My last good review resulted in a lethargic six months before I was brought before HR for another scare session. Now I am back on track and doing better than ever. So I am going to go in again in December, get a good review and repeat the cycle, I fear.

I can't tell my boss to be mean to me all the time, that is not her job.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you deal with it?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: How to handle praise

Sounds like you are not into your job. Most people who like their jobs don't need to be bull-whipped to get it done. I suggest you evaluate if this is the place you really want to work.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:28 PM

From the words of the great Homer Simpson

"Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American Dream?"
Old 11-08-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you are not into your job. Most people who like their jobs don't need to be bull-whipped to get it done. I suggest you evaluate if this is the place you really want to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Na, its cool, I'm not stacking crates or anything. In fact, I can't think of too many places I'd rather be.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Na, its cool, I'm not stacking crates or anything. In fact, I can't think of too many places I'd rather be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then don't be a slacker. It can't be that hard to just be adequate in your job.

FYI -If your company ever experiences a downturn and must have layoffs, they typically go right to HR and see who has been written up. 90% of these people are in the first wave of firings.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had an ex-employee who had this problem.

I dealt with it by giving him smaller raises than everyone else, poor performance evaluations, reprimands for sloppy work, and was about to put him on probation when he did me a big favor and found some motivation and quit...
Old 11-08-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had an ex-employee who had this problem.

I dealt with it by giving him smaller raises than everyone else, poor performance evaluations, reprimands for sloppy work, and was about to put him on probation when he did me a big favor and found some motivation and quit...

[/ QUOTE ]

So your advice is for me to quit? EXCELLENT. you idiot.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:19 PM

Be inner-directed. Compare yourself to yourself.
"Am I doing this as well as I could be right this minute?"
"No"
"Get on it then."

HR crap will take care of itself from then on. In fact, you will end up promoted.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be inner-directed. Compare yourself to yourself.
"Am I doing this as well as I could be right this minute?"
"No"
"Get on it then."

HR crap will take care of itself from then on. In fact, you will end up promoted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either do what he said or get some ideas from watching "the Office"
Old 11-08-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So your advice is for me to quit? EXCELLENT. you idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, if you work for me, my advice is that you should quit as it makes my life easier, although since I'm desperately looking for a new job (because I'm unmotivated because my boss never praises me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] and it is only a matter of time before it has a noticeable impact on my performance and I get reprimanded...) it probably doesn't matter...

Honestly, it sounds like your job doesn't interest you and the only way you get motivated is through fear. That is a lousy situation (for you).

I would suggest looking for another job either (1) doing different work that interests you more or (2) finding a different work environment that suits your personality better.

Many people underestimate the importance of #2.

Some people need more structure and discipline and do better in a more 'formal' work environment with bureaucracy and standard operating procedures and dress codes and best practices and detailed instructions and a lot of close supervision.

Some people need to be in a more creative/casual environment with less clearly defined roles and more varied opportunities to contribute and more freedom and responsibility.

Alternatively, if you think the problem really is with you and not your job, you need to set a higher goal for yourself. For example, your goal should not be to excel (and get praise) in your current position but to get promoted to a more challenging position.

Therefore any praise you receive for your current position should be perceived as worthless and every review where you do not get promoted should be perceived as a setback (but don't take this attitude too far and be realistic about when you can/should expect a promotion).