Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Time to shove?? or be more patient??

Hello all,

I have had a tough few weeks and would like to bounce my general "late" strategy as my stack gets to be around or less than 10X the big blind.

I play 50+5's and 100+9's at party.

Tight play usually gets me to the last 6 standing.

Once the big blind hits 50/100, and my stack is usually around or less than 10X the big blind, I am looking for push hands, regardless of position.

These hands include
Pairs 55 and higher (sometimes lower)
K10,KJ,KQ
A9s,A10,AJ,AQ,AK
Sometimes: QJ, K9 Q10 and suited connectors (although not always)

When ever my stack is less than or around 10X the big big blind regardless of position I am ussually pushing the listed hands.

If my stack is 15X the BB, I am a bit more patient, however playing the stronger hands listed aggressivelly, commiting myself to the pot.

Unless I see a very strong opportunity to leverage on the bubble with 4 left, I am pretty conservitive, again playing only stronger hands.

I am not a big fan of mini raising to steal blinds late, even with the blinds large. Are any of you having success with oppening for only 2X the BB when the BB is 200+? My minimum steal is 3X the blind.

That above strategy has gotten me by for the last few years, but it has been a bad few weeks...I am down 40 buy ins in 50's (This hads never happened and you can only blame it on cards for so long before you have to seriously examine your play)

I appreciate any input.

Citrus
Old 11-28-2005, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Time to shove?? or be more patient??

If you're pushing all of the hands you listed whenever you're at 10BB or less, then you're making mistakes. Pushing many of those hands, particularly from early position, is a big error. You'll only be called by hands that crush you, and plenty of those out are possible.

With 10BB, I'm typically (depending on position and stacks) only playing (roughly) 77+, AJ+. Tighten up, choose your spots, and don't take the pushbotting mentality too far.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Time to shove?? or be more patient??

This article might help you. Don't know if you ever go to the 2+2 mag but I found this there. Good Luck. link