Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Too thin? 10/20 river raise/fold

Good, or too thin? Anyone like just raising flop, raising turn, or calling down/bet if check to? Villain leans towards laggy but not too loose/overaggro.

Party Poker 10.00/20.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.00 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (2.00 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.00 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 8.00 BB.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Too thin? 10/20 river raise/fold

Raise preflop, given that you didnt, I would raise the turn.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:21 PM

PF raise here sucks. I'm ok with a bluff raise on the turn.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:23 PM

why does the pf raise suck?

why do you think the turn raise is a bluff?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:34 PM

I like it. If villian is laggy, he's raising your blind with Qx on up. Looks to me like you are ahead on the river.

I have occasionally seen donks complete their sb with monsters, but that happens infrequently enough that I think you can dismiss it here.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:35 PM

I'd rather raise the turn than the river here.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:42 PM

I'm with the others ... I don't see much of an advantage to raising the river.

I often raise preflop when SB open-completes - even with crap. (Fold equity on the flop is enough justfication alone).

I could also see throwing in a raise on the turn, but I see myself simply calling the turn a lot of the time too.

Adam
Old 09-01-2005, 05:04 PM

adam, I haven't yet been convinced that the increased folding equity you gain from raising any 2 preflop makes raising any 2 good. Maybe you can convince me. It just seems that you have a ton of folding equity already when they check to you (which they do fairly often in my experience). Raising pre makes the pot bigger which gives them more incentive to continue or to play back at you. It seems to me that even the lags sometimes are like "whatever just take it" when they complete in sb preflop.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
adam, I haven't yet been convinced that the increased folding equity you gain from raising any 2 preflop makes raising any 2 good. Maybe you can convince me. It just seems that you have a ton of folding equity already when they check to you (which they do fairly often in my experience). Raising pre makes the pot bigger which gives them more incentive to continue or to play back at you. It seems to me that even the lags sometimes are like "whatever just take it" when they complete in sb preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with this. Raising any two pre-flop here does not makes sense to me.

FWIW, I open limp occasionally from the SB and think that in the right spots limping, instead of raising, increases my FE on the flop.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:42 PM

I love raising open completers with hands like JT, QJ, T9, 97 since an Ace or king will usually win the pot for you as well as pairing one of your other two cards. I usually like doing this to take the initiative from weak opponents. Strong ones can identify the strength of there hand and raising isn't as effective against them. Jim Brier in "How good is you limit hodem" discuses this idea.