Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: New Jetta anyone?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And you liked the Jetta better? Or was the Jetta bumped up just for the price/financing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's comparing apples to oranges, honestly. The Jetta takes the cake simply for the pricing and affordability.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's completely apples and oranges. I guess what I'm getting at is that I want to ask what car in the sub-$20k price range do you find that fits all these (self-described) picky tastes of yours? It sounds like the real problem with the WRX is the $24k price tag more than the gearbox. I personally think there are better cars to be had than the Jetta for $20k, but if that's the car you like the best in the price range, then go get it. I think the best advice for the common man is to steer clear from leases, but if you know enough about how leases really work and are able to get in there and figure out what a true value is on a lease (I suspect $269/mo isn't) and can negotiate to it, then go do what makes you happy.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:56 PM

Just as a complete aside, you blew a lot of money for no reason on premium gas. It doesn't do anything for a Jetta (or any other naturally aspirated, normal compression ratio car).
Old 10-10-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think it's a steal of a deal under 20 grand in terms of power and creature comforts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know the used car market all that well, but $20k sounds a bit high. I'd certainly take a look at it, though. DasLeben should check it out. You won't be able to get anywhere near as good of financing on a used car loan, though, as on a new one. You might be able to find something, though. I'd check it out.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:02 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i'm not asking 20k for it. the loan bit is probably true. i don't know what he has in terms of cash to apply toward it, but i would think it would be a value to get so much car for the same amount of money as whatever in addition to the fact that the "standard" drive-off-the-lot depreciation is already worked into the car. plus it's been around for a few years with nary a problem so reliability concerns are signifigantly allayed.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:05 PM

Assuming you guys are somewhat close to each other and could arrange this somewhat easily, this could be a great deal for DasLeben if he really likes the Jetta. I'd certainly rather have this car than a brand new base/near base model for a similar price.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just spend the extra $$$ and go for an Acura TL

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-10-2005, 04:20 PM

yea I meant effeminate. can't type today.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:23 PM

You are right dude. Leasing is sweet. I lease my RX-8 and I never have to worry about repairs. If they need to fix anything, I just get a loaner car and come back the next day.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:26 PM

Does nobody else here think that repairs and maintenance are more than just a money issue? My time and convenience are worth a considerable amount to me.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:36 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
Does nobody else here think that repairs and maintenance are more than just a money issue? My time and convenience are worth a considerable amount to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the only REAL bother for me. if my tv broke and i could just stick $200 in it to make it work, it really wouldn't be that big of a deal. calling people, making arrangements, dealing with crap during business hours, moving stuff around, etc is enough of a nightmare.