Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: tells

[ QUOTE ]
Can people list all the tells they notice here. Please be serious!Hopefully this will help everyone on 2+2 incorporate what people do in their game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just a few observations from live play experience. As mentioned already, it is ALWAYS player dependent, so the first hour of the session is crucial that you pay attention.

1. There's this regular very bad player in my game who is a calling station. I noticed that the longer he takes in calling your bet (any street), the weaker his hand is. He'll do the same on the river with a raise, when it's obvious to me he should have folded.
2. There's a good, tight player I know who protects his cards with a chip pf before it's his action. He's about to raise. I mentioned that to him recently and he's been working on countering that. Even the good players will miss their own tells, including myself.
3. With most average players, if the flop/turn/river hits his hand fairly well and he checks, there's almost always a very slight motion to reach for his chips prior to the check.
4. There is this one player who splashes his call when he's drawing or his hand is weak, but if he bets/calls with a more methodical motion, his hand is strong. Be careful with this one, I mix up my calls on purpose, so be sure how the person plays before judging this tell.
5. A player betting out of turn is usually indicative of a good hand.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
12) As it relates to table image, the person with the neatly stacked chips (especially if all the markings on the side line up, that's huge), is usually fairly tight. Watch them for a few orbits (you can use your stack to count how many hands they limp in or raise with). The neat chip stacking is a fairly good tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for posting this. I have started doing this recently and will now stop.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If a guy reaches into his pants in the middle of hand, he's probably holding the nuts. Fold your hand and leave the table immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 04:27 PM

About the card protector: it doesn't happen often, but if a player uses one AND she is sitting behind you AND she looks at her hand before your action AND does not put her card protector on her cards, then she won't play the hand. The converse is not necessarily true though.

Something you should watch for is the comfort state of your opponents. See how they act when not in a hand. Players who plan on folding usually act in the same way as when they have no cards at all. They have already mentally folded and their head is not in the game.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something you should watch for is the comfort state of your opponents. See how they act when not in a hand. Players who plan on folding usually act in the same way as when they have no cards at all. They have already mentally folded and their head is not in the game.

[/ QUOTE ] Good point.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:58 PM

Thats related to the age/bluff estimator function.

Take 70,
subtract your estimate of the player's age
the result is the percentage of the time they
are bluffing.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:42 AM

I think what you mean to say is, "lots of new, young players think that pokre is a bullshitting bluff fest -> expect those players to bluff more and also to do terrible calls when they think you are bluffing"
Old 09-06-2005, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
12) As it relates to table image, the person with the neatly stacked chips (especially if all the markings on the side line up, that's huge), is usually fairly tight. Watch them for a few orbits (you can use your stack to count how many hands they limp in or raise with). The neat chip stacking is a fairly good tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! I'll stop doing this like yesterday, tell is very accurate of my live style...
Old 09-06-2005, 11:54 AM

Here is a real answer. I listed quite a few common ones I found.
http://www.texasholdempoker-stats.com/thp_tells.html
Old 09-06-2005, 12:29 PM

I'd like to follow up on my previous post where I said that
older players never check-raise, i.e. checking is almost always a sign of weakness in older players. This is "politically incorrect" and you will never see it in any book on tells. Has
anyone else noticed such tells, based on age,gender, physical appearance. etc.