Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Low flop

Satellite for major tournament. 23 players left. 1 seat. $5500-2200 to 2nd-4th.

Thought of pushing preflop.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO (t16833)
Button (t8332)
SB (t16171)
Hero (t5399)
UTG (t10202)
UTG+1 (t3575)
MP1 (t4160)
MP2 (t15687)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of t200.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls t400, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t1200) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???
Old 11-25-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Low flop

I would've pushed preflop most likely, after the flop I would probably fold even though this seems weak tight to me. I really don't see the SB leading into two people, one that can bust them, with anything that you can beat. There are a few hands that he could lead with that your currently head of, such as flush with overs, straight draw with and over, etc. But even with those your only 50-50. So overall i would fold, yet i wouldnt be suprised if that is incorrect. This whole hand seems weird to me starting with CO limp preflop.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:32 AM

I pushed 5K at 2.2K pot. I thought I was ahead and SB had a lower pair or draw, and might fold a better 5 to the push. I thought SB could be bluffing the low flop from the blinds or might bet any pair or draw, figuring CO had overcards. I didn't think a set of 2-pair were really likely. I figured my top pair was vulnerable. I also misread the board and thought I had a gutshot. Maybe I didn't want to call or fold, so pushed.

CO called and SB folded. CO had A3o for a straight. I don't know if I made a bad play or just got unlucky.

I was in 3rd place in this thing at one point. This was my bustout hand, so I wondered if I really screwed it up.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:59 AM

I think I'd let go of the hand on the flop - It was a fishy limp and he could have a wide range of hands ahead of you right now. I like the push preflop, but that's gotten me into trouble plenty of times too.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:02 AM

Was a fishy limp with A3o, but open limping from CO is not necessarily bad. Would think CO would raise with a pp, but more worried he has an overpair or set. Was gambling neither player hit the board hard or would get coin flip versus draw.

Maybe not a good gamble. Maybe I should flat call. Didn't like folding top pair in limped pot. Still not sure if play was that bad. Probably take the pot often.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:12 AM

You did get a little unlucky, but I would have folded. I think either one could have had 66-88 or even 99, limping in. It's not like the flop slapped you in the face... his limp was looking for a slap and got it. With this hand I'd be looking for trips, straight or OESD might suffice.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:16 AM

i would just fold the flop.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:11 PM

Depending on your image, blind defense, vilian's state, etc. I think that pf raise is most likely in order, looking to possibly take it down right then and there and if not, then control of the hand post flop. I'm trying to ramp up my aggression factor in situations like these, and this feels like a good spot.

If you'd raised pf and either/both player(s) came along, then when the flop hits, it might be a little easier to get away from. The way it was played, I like the line, I just think, as mentioned, you got unlucky.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:19 PM

It's an unraised and dangerous flop that you've got a small piece of. SB's bet looks to me like one he wants called or re-raised. Of course, he could be being very sly. A small raise here is more intimidating than a big one but you could be outkicked on your pair, beaten now or later by the str8, or he could be drawing to the flush. IMO, there's no value in risking a lot of chips for this small pot.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:42 PM

antes here are 50, right? it's important b/c the SB is more likely to complete 52 or 42 with ante money in there.

yeah, i'd like a fold also. calling is tough because you're going to wind up putting in a lot of money behind or winning a small pot (or getting moved off your hand by a draw or combo hand).

the problem with making a small raise is that there's a pretty good chance SB has a flush draw or some junk 2 pair/bigger 5 hand, and if you're folding to a flush draw on a push, you giving up a ton of value. but paying off a set is also pretty horrible. so you're likely to make a wrong decision to a reraise.

i guess i like a push if you're going to play. you may fold out a small flush draw, which is good.

but you're risking too much. when you get called, you're going to be in pretty bad shape. there's also a decent chance the CO open-limp is a big pair. i'd fold to the first bet.