Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Value bet at the river

I'm playing 5 stud for fun on Paradise (i.e. play money) and a person with an open pair bets, and gets called by someone who couldn't beat the open pair (and the open pair had nothing better than what was showing). I wittily pointed out that (s)he did good by calling, since it was obvious the open pair was bluffing.

Anyway, I saw the same thing happen later. A pair of Queens got called by someone who couldn't beat a pair of Queens.

So my question is, should I be betting my open pairs for value at showdown? (assuming all I have is a pair)
Old 06-27-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Value bet at the river

At play money, does betting for "value" get you any value?

Seriously, I appreciate that you are probably trying to learn the game, but those play money games are so ridiculous that I can't see getting anything out of it. I would certainly do a LOT of value betting.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:14 PM

In my experience, playing with play money will only cost you when you do start playing with real money. If you must practice with playmoney, play stud tournaments since all the quaks usually get elminated early on. Even then, you're still playing against a fairly weak field.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:16 PM

I just posted this because I thought it was funny. A pair is showing that can't be beaten, a guy bets his open pair (which is in itself usually dumb, if the hand only has the open pair) and someone else who can't beat a hand THAT'S SHOWING calls it. That's pretty funny.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:33 PM

Sklansky has you value bet the river if you're, what, 55% certain you'll be good when you're called? If your whole hand is on board, you're not going be be called by a worse hand anything like 55% of the time, no matter how bad your opponents are.

And don't waste your time with play money.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:17 AM

I read an article recently (I think in Card Player, but I can't find it now) about the 2 biggest mistakes in 5 Card Stud.

1. Betting the river when you will only get called by a hand that will beat you.

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain: X Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

In This situation you should check as if you are called you will probably lose.

2. (And this is where it gets to be what your post is asking about)

Don't fail to bet just because you have the best hand. Your opponent may be sleeping or maybe they are willing to pay a bet to see what your starting cards are. Example:

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain: X Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Just because you can't be beat doesn't mean you should not bet.

Hopefully I didn't butcher the article too bad. It was the two most common mistakes that the author had noted playing 5 card stud online.