Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 11:39 AM

Default set of 4\'s at borgata 10/25, what bet?

Action game with decent players. Five, including myself, with 44 in the BB, limp pre-flop. Dream flop of K42 rainbow. With this many players in, I check and wait to see what develops. I am not disapointed. Guy immediately to my left makes it 150 and gets two callers by the time it gets to me. I have about 1500, others in hand have stacks ranging fron 2-4 thousand. I know no one has limped with KK, and yet I cannot figure out what to bet so as to isolate one guy, considering three people felt a pot that was unraised pre-flop was worth 150 on the flop. About 600 in the pot now.
Results to follow.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Re: set of 4\'s at borgata 10/25, what bet?

Go to about $700 straight and expect one of those guys to have 222.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dream flop of K42 rainbow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not c/r all-in on the turn? You know you're going to get a bet.

-dB
Old 06-03-2005, 12:14 PM

I think the 700 bet would have been a smart move. My concern about just calling and allowing another card before I c/r, was allowing possibly two players w. K2 to draw too cheaply for their boat with another king. Had I thought this through more I would have realized: that concern was overblown, and a king on the turn is really the only card i fear (other than a two?). I think I probably overreacted to the amount of people seriously involved in the hand and the amount of $ already in the pot to be won.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:15 PM

At this game the way it played, that 150 bet could be made and called by all sorts of hands, none of which will necessarily pay off a big bet. I make it $600-if anybody has a big hand they'll play a big pot anyway and if nobody does you extract a few extra chips.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the 700 bet would have been a smart move. My concern about just calling and allowing another card before I c/r, was allowing possibly two players w. K2 to draw too cheaply for their boat with another king. Had I thought this through more I would have realized: that concern was overblown, and a king on the turn is really the only card i fear (other than a two?). I think I probably overreacted to the amount of people seriously involved in the hand and the amount of $ already in the pot to be won.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a perfect example of why you shouldn't play a game that's more big than you're comfortable playing. You flop a set and immediately start playing as though your hand is much more vulnerable than it really is. At that game I'd be dreaming of a K to hit on the turn so I can get paid off by trips.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
two players w. K2 to draw too cheaply for their boat with another king.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to see another king.

... since you're the BB, I'd say that the probability of another player having a king and a two in his hand is pretty negligible compared to KQ/KJ/KTs/whatever else.

-dB
Old 06-03-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: set of 4\'s at borgata 10/25, what bet? RESULTS

I think you're exactly right. I pushed and everyone folded. I never would have worried in a smaller game.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:51 PM

You pushed when it came back to you? That seems too strong. And you WANT another K to fall so that trips can pay you off. Seemed you were too concerned about "protecting" that monster you had. You could have gotten a bit more value with a turn check-raise or a half-pot/pot sized raise on the flop. Don't be afraid man! If you are, then you're playing in a game that's too big for you.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:01 PM

The only interesting thing about this hand is that this is a fantastic spot to bluff as it turns out.

I imagine making it 700 here with any two cards could very well show a profit in certain types of games.