Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Leaving a \"Good\" Table That You Are Losing On

PTY .5/1

Sometimes I've played on what ought to be a very good table with lots of loose players and an average table VP$IP of 35-45, but I stagnate and lose because I get few good hands to play with and most of those I do get happen to get beat by better hands or get sucked out by odds defying callers.

Since the expectation at this table is high and I'm just having a run of bad luck, I figure should stay there and will profit in the long run. But often it just doesn't turn around and I spin my wheels or lose for 30 minutes to an hour.

Often I've found that if I switch tables I will start doing a lot better, even when the new table is not as favorable looking statistically according to Poker Tracker.

I know this defies logic, but I'd say 75-80% of the time it works better for me to switch.

How long do you hang in there on what should be a great table when your not having any luck there?

Signed,
I'd Rather Switch Than Fight
Old 01-06-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Leaving a \"Good\" Table That You Are Losing On

If the table is good I do not leave unless I'm done playing. I am not results oriented that way. I have lost my initial stake and rebought many times when I deem a table beatable. Why stop fishing in a good fishing hole just because you've lost some bait?
Old 01-06-2005, 03:19 PM

How well you are doing should usually not be an issue in the decision to leave a table.

You are just as likely to lose at another table and what you have described is just a fluke probably over a small sample size.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:23 PM

I stay on loose passive tables until I'm done playing, regardless of how I'm doing at the moment. You're just getting bad cards, you'll get them at tighter tables too. Difference is, when you finally DO get good cards, you'll get paid more on a loose table. Unless you get tilty, or start playing with low confidence / morale / whatever, you should stay on the best tables.

If the psychology is changing your game, then move I guess, but I don't feel I suffer from this. I take a bad beat and say 'Thank you sir may I have another!' Be in 10000 of those 'bad-beat' hands and see who's ahead in the end. You WANT to be in those hands with those players ya know! Being at those kind of tables gives you the most opportunities.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:43 PM

Well I think the correct answer is it depends.

For me personally, it depends on how long I plan to play. If I'm going to be playing for another 300-500 hands, then I probably would stay (and also play at another somewhat favorable table) since I hope the "averages" start catching up. I also adjust my play if I think my table image is deteriorating (more rock solid play and nothing fancy)

[ QUOTE ]
I know this defies logic, but I'd say 75-80% of the time it works better for me to switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think your observation necessarily defies logic. Its because of table image. When you play well but get beat and sucked out a lot, other mediocre players at the table may see you as a not so good player and not respect your bets and raises. Because of this, you lose the value of a lot of strategic plays such as semibluffing or checkraising a late position bettor w/ a second best hand to narrow the field. (i.e. your semibluff may be to hopefully get a free card on the turn, however, when everyone doesn't respect your raises, they call anyway and are more likely to still bet into you at the turn, forcing you to fold if the pot odds don't justify it). If this happens, you lose some of your edge as a more sophisticated poker player and need to adjust and play a more mechanical game where all bets and raises are purely for value. If you can't improve your table image, aren't comfortable adjusting and/or just prefer to use your full poker arsenal, then yes it may be time to switch to a table, even if it is slightly tighter.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-06-2005, 05:43 PM

Only leave a good table if you are on severe tilt(which you will be sometimes,, just take a short break)....Do NOT leave a table if you are playing fine and losing(unless you are done with that session, like everyone else said)
Old 01-06-2005, 05:46 PM

I don't leave unless I'm done playing. I've had sessions like that where I'd start off at $25, drop down to $10 in situations like you mentioned, and then leave the table anywhere from $5-$50 up. Sometimes you'll stay down, sometimes it'll be a gold mine, just gotta wait it out.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How well you are doing should usually not be an issue in the decision to leave a table.

[/ QUOTE ]I understand the logic and agree that it makes sense, but it just doesn't seem to work for me most of the time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It could be just a statistic deviation over a small sample size like you say, though. I have only been playing for a few months. - TomBk
Old 01-08-2005, 11:49 AM

If losing at a table is affecting your psyche to the point where you are getting emotional and think you simply cannot win, sure, go ahead and leave. Personally i would stay at the loose passive table as long as possible simply because it only takes one big hand and you'll be right back to where you started.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I understand the logic and that, but it just doesn't seem to work that way most of the time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] -TomBk

[/ QUOTE ]

Do what ever makes you feel comfortable, if you don't like playing at a table you've been losing at and as a result play a less than optimum game then leave.

But understand that it wont make a difference to the cards, it's for your personal preference. But that's fine.